Land clearing newbie needs help-pics. included

/ Land clearing newbie needs help-pics. included #21  
Thanks, everyone, for the sage advice.

PatasCol - The yield on the "fairways" has been skimpy because the soil has not been tested nor improved over the years. Approx 8 acres yielded 190 bales (small square - 60-70 pounds) this year on first cutting. I would like to produce 1500 bales per year and since I'm paying property taxes on this land I intend to put it to work.

TripleR - You make very good points. I have no experience with heavy equipment and I would be inefficient with time and fuel because of this. It makes good sense to consider getting professional help for these reasons alone.

Schweiser - Goats! Who knew? No, it's not fenced and it's loaded with coyotes who I fear would pick off the goats, but maybe it would be the other way around, eh?

foreman Etexas - your ideas, shared here in principle by several others, make the most sense to me. Keep reading.

boggen - levelling and grading the ground properly after the clearing process to prevent the washouts and the ruts is something else I never considered. Good points. Thanks.

Rio Grande - Good idea about roots left behind during a "superficial only" clearing process. I raised this issue with my local extension agent (regrowth of natural flora would compete with growth of hay if roots are not removed) and he tended to downplay it suggesting that after a few cuttings of hay, the roots left behind would use up all of their stored growth energy and wither away. Hmmm...

Tonyoz - That machine would be perfect, but it is a proprietary system the likes of which are not available for local rental and, I fear, as TripleR has suggested, that without much seat time in an excavator I would muck about without much effectiveness.

Dozer - Your idea appeals to me and incorporates the suggestions of others most completely. Should I rent a decent sized dozer with rippers in the back and doze it into piles to burn, while simultaneously ripping out the roots? I can then burn the piles and later have the property disced and subsequently seeded.

Could a guy like me whose only experience with a blade is scores of hours in a snowplow effectively operate a dozer with rippers and do this job or would the best use of my hard earned dollars be spent on a professional to do the job?

I'll just put it this way,when you get tired of the RODEO you will learn how to operate it effectively:D

/ Land clearing newbie needs help-pics. included #22  
This is my first post. may be not relivent for your area but, here goes. Here in Florida my brother bought 2.5 acres. It was covered with pine trees 6" to 14" and underbrush. He rented a loader with a bucket rake to clear it (neither of us ever operated a machine this size before this). Cost about $1000. and took less than a week to clear. Let it dry for a few weeks and burnt it all. He planted seed and it looks great

/ Land clearing newbie needs help-pics. included
How about the following piece of equipment? Do you all think this could do the job?

CATHM312Mulcher.jpg

This looks like something a newbie may be able to handle. Any thoughts, anyone?

Here are some action videos:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SW-QtlCSKkU[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ds4P14Zccj8&feature=related[/ame]

/ Land clearing newbie needs help-pics. included #24  
There is a learning curve to a mulcher and it can be steep BUT if you have land and can get a good deal on a used machine, you can pick up a head relatively cheap. I have used the 312 for 7 years. Just listed it for sale for under 10k but it will work just like it did when I paid 23k as a demo unit.

If a guy picked up modern skid or ctl with high flow, got a lexan door, a grapple, mulcher, and bucket, he could do just about anything. If you take your time, you can mulch down to ground level or mill the stumps flush. You can always rent a tree shear later to nip the stumps below grade... if you have the carrier.

I've seen some good used machines going for about 35k with a mulcher. If someone is astute, they can pick up a used machine and head separately and practice on their own place while they systematically clear. If a guy or gal is handy, they can do it.

/ Land clearing newbie needs help-pics. included #25  
I didn't even know you could rent mulchers! I wish I could find a place anywhere near me that would rent a mulcher. I think that's the route you should take.

/ Land clearing newbie needs help-pics. included
I did some checking at the local heavy equipment rental shops. A tracked skid steer and a mulcher will typically rent for approx. $3000.00 per week and this does not include fuel. It does generally include delivery or trailer rental. A "week" means 40 hours on the machine. The issue with the mulcher unit, outside of the cost, is the fact that it will not remove the roots which will sping back, of course as soon as the next growing season begins.

My next move: Get an estimate from a professional for the whole job. I hope to meet with one this week. More to come.

tmac

/ Land clearing newbie needs help-pics. included #27  
Around here they are 1200 per week. May not be apples to apples though.