pulling trees over

/ pulling trees over #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
So...I was thinking.....Can I winch over a tree to 1. pull it down and 2. help assist in removing the roots? I am thinking about ~18 inch diamter trees

I have winched trees over that I have cut wedges out of and of course left the stumps, but I was wondering if I just used my 8K winch anchored to another tree to pull it over like what happens in a wind storm.

Is this safe and doable?

/ pulling trees over #2  
If you can weaken/clip the root structure, and pull from very high (for leverage), it might be possible. But in general, it's a long shot, and fraught with danger and complications.

Generally, wind-downed trees are already weakened from soft ground (due to excessive rain) or something else that makes them vulnerable.

/ pulling trees over #3  
If you can weaken/clip the root structure, and pull from very high (for leverage), it might be possible. But in general, it's a long shot, and fraught with danger and complications.

Generally, wind-downed trees are already weakened from soft ground (due to excessive rain) or something else that makes them vulnerable.

I agree, it's dangerous. Winching creates a stress point and could create a catapult effect. If you winch a tree and then need to cut it, you could end up with a "barber chair" defect that is both dangerous and difficult to remove. An 18" tree can weigh an awful lot. Depending upon the type of tree and the root structure involved, you could be winching several thousand pounds of unpredictable tree.

If you need to use a rope on a tree, use it for tension and safety or to help pull a properly notched tree. Once it's down, a small machine can excavate the rootball though it may take longer.
Good luck.

/ pulling trees over #4  
In addition to what is said above, pulling from up high on a tree gives you leverage, if you are pulling perpendicular to the tree. My tractor ain't that high. If you run the cable back down to the ground to an atv, you lose the mechanical advantage of the height of the attachment to the tree. There are some well educated folks here that can tell you how to make those calculations, I can't.

/ pulling trees over #5  
I wouldn't advise trying to winch over an 18" tree. There are enough things that could go wrong cutting them without asking for problems.
A blow down is moved by the wind putting pressure from the uppermost foliage to the lowest limbs and overpowering the trees ability to stand in the soil it is rooted in. Unlike a blow down, you will be pulling, putting pressure in one spot (where ever you put the cable). In my experience if you were using the winch on the back of a log skidder (30,000 lbs. or more), if you hooked the cable high enough, you would probably just snap the tree off at some midway point. I don't think you'll have much of a chance to do much with an 8000 lb winch.

Andy

/ pulling trees over #6  
   / pulling trees over
Ok....glad I asked. Will put this idea in the circular file. ;)

/ pulling trees over #9  
i used to pull smaller alder trees, not over but straight up. The biggest one was approx. 10" in diameter. I used a large round out of a log i'd cut up. I'd put the round on it's side right up against the tree, then hook a chain to the base of the tree as close to the ground as possible, up over the round then to my truck. The chain would pull tight then the tree would lift straight up and fall over. I did learn to top the tree after the first larger one i pulled fell over landed next to me.:eek: