Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions!

/ Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions! #1  

KrayzKajun

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010 Cab w/ FEL & HD Cutter, New Holland C232 w/ FAE Mulcher
been looking for a used brushcutter put on my mustang skidsteer(until i upgrade to a tracked machine) to help while im on bushhogging jobs. well in my search for a tractor i came across these brush cutters forsale at an Equipment Auction place about 2hrs from my house. they also have an inventory of equipment and attachments they sell(that you dont bid on)

I called yesterday and the guy said they are brandnew and would cut me a deal if i picked up one of the roots grapples while i was there. i asked if i could bring my machine and try the cutter on it, he said sure thing.

its 72" Brush cutter made by Wildkat Attachments in NC. 7 gauge steel deck. Omni gear box 75hp, Parker Hydraulic Hoses, Parker Drive motor w/ internal cross port, lowflow up to 20 gpm, not over 25 gpm ,weight 1100#

they are asking $2650 each.
here is a video from the manufactures site.
Skid Steer Bush Hog Style Mowing Deck - YouTube

Attachments

• 6381.jpg
    6381.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,865
   / Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions! #2  
I have a 60" brushcat (the brushcutter made by bobcat) that I run on my case 1840 skidsteer with rubber tires, which I think is a little larger machine than your mustang. The brushcat is very robust, well made, tried and true and really is a beast. It runs on lowflow hydraulics also, and is at least as agressive as any pto behind the tractor bushhog I have ever run. The benefit of the front-mounted brushcutter on a skidsteer is the obvious maneuverability and convenience... you can really see what your doing and where you're going, and quick back-up, side to side, etc. There is one significant disadvantage. The brushcat is HEAVY. Sorry, I don't have the exact weight memorized (that could be looked up) by my sheer experience is that it is VERY HEAVY. On dry ground this doesn't mean too much, and I have always been happy with the set-up. But if the ground is more than a little squishy, it's pretty much of a disaster. I'm sure this problem would be reduced (but not eliminated) by running a track machine instead of rubber tires. THe brushcutter you are describing looks pretty heavy duty, and 72" (mine is only 60") so I'm sure it will be pretty darn heavy. I think the secret to these things is that they would be flawlessly perfect and perform like a million bucks if they were run on a very large tracked skidsteer, just because of the sheer weight and traction. Not sure if that helps, you much, but that's been my experience.

/ Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions! #3  
For doing light work Wildkat unit is good, biggest advantage over the Brushcat (Bobcat) is you can run them at what ever level you want (Brushcat has to be on the ground rolling on it wheels to run), the deck and mount are just not heavy enough to take the abuse that a Davco or a Brown will take. if your handy with a welder and a torch you could find a 6' bushhog mower and convert it to hydraulic drive and skid steer mount super easy and alot cheaper than the Wildkat.

/ Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions! #4  
I just went through this purchase little over a month ago. If you want to cut brush, you need to go to a little diffrent design. We opassed on the wildcat version because i diddnt think it was built as heavt as the prowler I bought. The prowler is sold by Ward Equiptment in Greensburg Indiana. It will cost more than the wildcat unit but it has a pusher bar on top abd an open front end. I can lop off 4-5 inch trees with almost no compensation. Flip the nose down and back up and cut the stump off at the ground. It is really and awsome machine. That said it is a middle of the road model, there are tougher ones yet. Mine weighs right at 1500 lbs

It has the same basic drive line as the Wildcat. Check them out. If you do a search they are on the web the guy to talk to there is Steve. I know they ship all over.

Whatch out on that grapple, all brush grapples are not created equal. I bought one for moving steel and have bent it in the woods at least once, it is the heaviest skid steer grapple I have ever seen. weighs 800 pounds.

/ Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions! #5  
I live in Central N C and have bought alot of attachments from Wildkat, good people to work with and seem to stand behind their product. They also have an open front design brush mower for heavier applications. Been looking at the Bradco on youtube. It looks to be well made, check it out.

/ Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions!
Still haven't made my mind up yet. In the process of picking up a new Mahindra 5010 w/ cab. I do bushhogging for a few home builder/developers, so I thought maybe having this cutter on the skid could help speed up some of the jobs, by getting around utility boxes, etc...

/ Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions! #7  
Keep in mind the quality of cut on rough ground is not nearly as good as a pull behind. But cutting brush they rock. I still use my tractor w bush hog in a lot of areas because the rough ground causes the brush cutter to make it look bad.

/ Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions! #8  
You should check out www.rootgraple.com
They are located in Denton NC as well and I bought one of there open front designs and it is awesome. Call them up and you can talk them down if you pay cash. I'm not positive but I belive that it is the same mower that riogrand bought. I have bought several attachments from rootgraple and there products are built well. Rootgraple and CID attachments are the same company. CID sells to dealers around the country and rootgraple sells to the local people. This is the mower that letsdig18 on YouTube uses......... What part of NC are you from?

/ Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions!
What part of NC are you from?

i from Louisiana. a heavy equipment auction company near me in mississippi has a few of the brush cutters.

/ Skid Steer Brush cutter opinions! #10  
I also have a Mahindra 5010, I just didn't get the cab model, I love the tractor. Did you buy your brush cutter yet?? If so enlighten me please