Job for a mulcher?

/ Job for a mulcher? #1  

KrayzKajun

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010 Cab w/ FEL & HD Cutter, New Holland C232 w/ FAE Mulcher
I was asked by a customer of mine to go look at clearing underbrush off 4x lots in a new development. He owns one and his two friends own the others. He is also best friends with the developer who owns the whole community. My guy wants to clear all debris and undergrowth now so we can keep it managed untill he builds. Instead of just cutting/clearing and hauling away the debris(ive got tractor w/ fel, skidsteer w/ grapple, 23yd dump trailer). The lots are all approx 100' x 175'. Ive been wanting to rent a big skid w/ mulcher to demo. I really think it would be the best option to cleanup up the lots and could really score me alot of work with the developer if he likes it. Whats yall opinion?
B62C9EFC-A1AF-48D9-9171-BEDE6DF8D7E3-2414-0000015E8E9FCC51.jpg
19089F45-CD78-4566-9EAD-FFDF8316E417-2414-0000015E7B5A1B27.jpg
F02B774F-CDCF-48E2-9504-A72E2C8B6133-2414-0000015E2A8B5F51.jpg
3946A9BA-2D5E-49F4-803D-405FEF4D225A-2414-0000015DEA326E4A.jpg
079E0BF4-6C8D-41C5-9AE5-7E0197B5323E-2414-0000015C5684A141.jpg

Last edited:
   / Job for a mulcher? #2  
A smaller mulcher would be ideal for that.

/ Job for a mulcher? #3  
Kajun, I responded on another forum. My thoughts are that you might get frustrated with a mulcher and the big wood if it's hard. Some of those pics look tight and it might be easier to pull the big wood and run a rotary in the woods. Though the rotary will make your machine longer, you won't be chasing logs that get spit out or having to back up because a long piece got kicked out under and behind you. The actually underbrush is so light, I wouldn't waste the fuel running my mulcher if you have access to a rotary and can haul the logs. My answer changes if the big logs are rotten but if those are recent TS damage, then I stand by the longer post in the other forum.

/ Job for a mulcher?
Thanks yellowdog. You have been alot of help. Im really hoping to get into more clearing/ brush cutting work.

/ Job for a mulcher? #5  
Thanks yellowdog. You have been alot of help. Im really hoping to get into more clearing/ brush cutting work.

The work is out there. If you do a good job, you will get more work than you can handle. I have a few do's and don'ts that I've picked up over the years if you are ever interested. I go for quality over quantity and it limits my market BUT my market remembers and recommends me for that. I'm sure you've seen a lot of videos of the guys ramming trees with their new mulcher. Don't be that guy! :) Snail slow, steady, and patient and you can make a property look amazing. Just search the vids, look around town, and get a good mental picture of the guy YOU DON'T want to be and like I said, you will get work often cleaning up after "that guy." good luck! I wish I had your spirit.. I think I'm getting old or something! :laughing:

/ Job for a mulcher? #6  
I agree Yellowdog, Your equipment will last longer to!!!

/ Job for a mulcher?
Well here is my plan. Go in and mark all trees that are to be removed(everything less than 6" in diameter). Cut all downed trees into manageable pieces , use skidsteer w/ grapple to haul everything out to my dump trailer, scrap the geound really good with the grapple, them come bak over the bare ground with the bushhog on my tractor. Would a price range between $2500-3500 each lot be out the question? Hoping to make a good impression on the homeowner, an gain the attention of the developer and home builders.