Great Possibilities!

/ Great Possibilities! #1  

cili

Bronze Member
We sold out the mulching business during the summer to see if there was a need for tree trimming along roads and field edges. I made some tear off posters and went out about 45 miles from my business in all directions and left them at places where farmers and hunters would shop. The calls are coming in more and more and word of mouth is picking up. All customers have been very satisfied with work and cost! I cut some 12 to 14 feet high (2 passes) and some 18 feet high (3 passes) which ever customer wants then I unhook the trimmer and hook up the grapple and quickly clean up the trimmings. Works out pretty good. There's no heating or dust problems and it's way easier on tracks. Fuel consumption is about the same which was a bit of a surprise. Probably the biggest advantage is that all the work/customers will be repeat cause the limbs keep growing and it's so affordable. Some have already talked about doing the future trimming which is definitely a good thing. Now we'll see how it holds through winter and into spring.

/ Great Possibilities! #2  
Sound cool! What are you using to get up that high? Any pictures or your work and equipment?

/ Great Possibilities! #3  
Cili,
This is to weird, I have just started to look at doing the same type work. How have you been charging for your work?
Do you just stack all of the cut limbs or remove etc.? Are farmers willing to have this work done the most or other clients etc.

/ Great Possibilities!
These you tube clips will answer some questions. I charge $100 an hr. for all(cutting and cleaning) from the time I leave shop now because everybody very conservative as expected. It really turns out to be very affordable to all that I've done and it is. You can make more after you get going if you want to price by job because I believe I could have chargered 50 to 100 per cent more if I had charged the jobs by the job. That's all up to you I'm happy doing it this way for now. I'm typing in a hurry if some of this doesn't make sense. Hunting property folks have been main customers lately. They tell me to push brush in a spot in woods, I offer to pile where ever if they want to pay the extra cost. forestry mowing/tree trimming - YouTube Hedge brush and tree trimming - YouTube

/ Great Possibilities! #5  
WHAT DOES THE ATTACMENT COST?

/ Great Possibilities! #6  
What is the biggest tree limb you can cut

/ Great Possibilities! #7  
What are the farmers saying about cost.

/ Great Possibilities!
Cat this is the proto-type but looks like it will be a little less than $14,000.
Fagan it cuts 4" and will also cut bigger but the frame work is in the way so you have to work it back and forth to give it room to cut. It is very strong too. I've hung a few times at the top and it pulled the machine around with no damage. Only had a couple of farmers and they were well pleased. May be because the crops are just being harvested, don't know. Going to have a huge land realtor see it in action in a few days. If they like then we'll see how all goes. Will let you know.

/ Great Possibilities! #9  
Are you doing this full time or part time? I am leaning more towards a saw and clearing fence and creek lines on crop ground. Maybe raising the tree canopy in pastures. In your experience will land owners be interested at $50/hr including clean-up? (Stacked in piles)

/ Great Possibilities! #10  
oops! I meant $100/hr don't know how $50 entered my brain (brain *art)