You Meet the Nicest People

/ You Meet the Nicest People #1  

1bush2hog

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TN75
Thanks to TBN, and the land clearing section I was able to expand my knowledge and make a couple of new friends too.

I have been engaged in a war on our property for the past 9 years, battling russian olive, oriental bittersweet, poison oak and ivy, oriental privet, etc, with my tractor, implements, and hand tools. Working in areas that were so thick even rabbits avoided. I finally decided to hire someone to do some mulching after seeing all the great results posted here. Sent a PM to one of the members and he hooked me up with two outstanding gentlemen, one of which is also a member here.

After meeting at our property and reviewing the work that needed to be done we set a start date in October. They had a few jobsite opportunities the first day that might have made other people reconsider, but not these guys - they not only worked hard the entire time, but always had a smile on their faces too. I was fortunate enough to be able to take a week off to watch their work first hand, and was so impressed with their work and integrity, I hired them to come back the following week.

Yes - It cost me some money, but it was money well spent. It would have taken me twenty years to do what these guys did in two weeks. My only regret was not hiring them 9 years ago :)

Here are a few pics of their work.

Attachments

• IMG_0090.jpg
    IMG_0090.jpg
    937.9 KB · Views: 281
  • flat rock.jpg
    flat rock.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 310
  • flat rock before.jpg
    flat rock before.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 155
Last edited:
   / You Meet the Nicest People
Some trail clearing too

public rd 1.jpgTrail 1.jpg

Clearing an old field on some adjoining property we just purchased

field 4.jpgfield 3.jpgField 1.jpg

/ You Meet the Nicest People #4  
Thanks to TBN, and the land clearing section I was able to expand my knowledge and make a couple of new friends too.

I have been engaged in a war on our property for the past 9 years, battling russian olive, oriental bittersweet, poison oak and ivy, oriental privet, etc, with my tractor, implements, and hand tools. Working in areas that were so thick even rabbits avoided. I finally decided to hire someone to do some mulching after seeing all the great results posted here. Sent a PM to one of the members and he hooked me up with two outstanding gentlemen, one of which is also a member here.

After meeting at our property and reviewing the work that needed to be done we set a start date in October. They had a few jobsite opportunities the first day that might have made other people reconsider, but not these guys - they not only worked hard the entire time, but always had a smile on their faces too. I was fortunate enough to be able to take a week off to watch their work first hand, and was so impressed with their work and integrity, I hired them to come back the following week.

Yes - It cost me some money, but it was money well spent. It would have taken me twenty years to do what these guys did in two weeks. My only regret was not hiring them 9 years ago :)

Here are a few pics of their work.

Looking very good - this first one - is this sorta a before and after of the same area? Thats your TN75 I surmise and it looks like a similar slope just earlier in the year.

That an impressive bit of work, and this type of clearing is daunting as it seems to grow faster than one can mow.

Good job to TBN to connect you all.

Carl

/ You Meet the Nicest People #5  
Clearing an old field on some adjoining property we just purchased

View attachment 287031View attachment 287030View attachment 287029

I too hired mulchers for our farm...about 2 yrs. ago...They told me to keep up with it with a brush killer...I did..so every year I use a 15 gallon tank sprayer in the bed of my pick up to spray all the areas they mulched...I have to refill it 3 times...I use " Compare N Save " from Home Depot..have to buy it online since it is not in their stores..it kills everything you spray for a year...I can attest to that...and it is less than $30.00 for a 2&1/2 gal of concentrate...goes a long way...

If you don't do this ...you will be hiring the Mulchers again in a couple of years..that privet especially is worse than Kudzu...

Looking very good - this first one - is this sorta a before and after of the same area? Thats your TN75 I surmise and it looks like a similar slope just earlier in the year.

That an impressive bit of work, and this type of clearing is daunting as it seems to grow faster than one can mow.

Good job to TBN to connect you all.

Carl

Yes, the first pic with my tractor in it, is the same area, taken about 6-7 years ago. My other before pic of this area is still on my camera -

I too hired mulchers for our farm...about 2 yrs. ago...They told me to keep up with it with a brush killer...I did..so every year I use a 15 gallon tank sprayer in the bed of my pick up to spray all the areas they mulched...I have to refill it 3 times...I use " Compare N Save " from Home Depot..have to buy it online since it is not in their stores..it kills everything you spray for a year...I can attest to that...and it is less than $30.00 for a 2&1/2 gal of concentrate...goes a long way...

If you don't do this ...you will be hiring the Mulchers again in a couple of years..that privet especially is worse than Kudzu...

You are absolutely correct Bob. Previously I have been spraying and then cutting. Would love to have been able to spray those privet stumps right after the mulcher finished, but I would have been in the way of progress and other flying debris.

Regardless, I would much rather ride around with a spray tank than fight through all of that mess that I had. It was literally impenetrable, not to mention steep. The guys doing the mulching also had to drag all those locust logs out to get to alot of the areas they mulched.

/ You Meet the Nicest People #8  
You are absolutely correct Bob. Previously I have been spraying and then cutting. Would love to have been able to spray those privet stumps right after the mulcher finished, but I would have been in the way of progress and other flying debris.

Regardless, I would much rather ride around with a spray tank than fight through all of that mess that I had. It was literally impenetrable, not to mention steep. The guys doing the mulching also had to drag all those locust logs out to get to alot of the areas they mulched.

It sure does look great now...I'm sure you will really enjoy the trails, I know we did on ours and still do...It's not too late to spray...I just keep after it and I am winning...you will too.

It sure does look great now...I'm sure you will really enjoy the trails, I know we did on ours and still do...It's not too late to spray...I just keep after it and I am winning...you will too.

With my property being up in the WNC mountains, it's a little late for foliar spraying, but I was doing a good bit of cut stump spraying on the oriental bittersweet vines while I was watching the mulchers play :) They had two weeks of pretty nice weather to work in, not to mention it was peak leaf looker season too. Most all of the leaves are off the trees now, and this was the weather at the top yesterday

mtn snow.JPG

/ You Meet the Nicest People #10  
I'm sincerely glad that the battle is looking more positive in your favor. Thanks for posting.