Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    ford 1700 , kubota B6100 ,B7100

Default Re: Newbie needindg de rocking advice

Guys, Thanks for your advice. I think i'll try the no charge suggestion first and remove some tines from the landscape rake & see how that works for getting the rock out of the way. I looked on the Bradco site for a rock rake, and the landscape-york-rock rake looks the same to me. Am I missing something ? That rock bucket sure looks like it would do the job though , I'm going to check into that, maybe see if theres any used ones out there. This project is'nt a rush nor am I getting paid to do it
    so had'nt thought of renting anything or subbing it out. I hope to do it with my old fleet and maybe add an attachment or two along the way. Will keep you up to date, thanks again

Tractor
    JD 3320, 4x4

I realize this is an old thread but I was wondering how to improve parcels of my land by removing fist sized rocks and wondered how this was done mechanically.
    I came across this YouTube Video I thought you all might enjoy viewing. The intro shows what I can only describe as a Mars landscape of rocks. A daunting job imo but it sure gave me hope......

[/url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qubNiEghHWo

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by VPFarm View Post
    I realize this is an old thread but I was wondering how to improve parcels of my land by removing fist sized rocks and wondered how this was done mechanically.
    I came across this YouTube Video I thought you all might enjoy viewing. The intro shows what I can only describe as a Mars landscape of rocks. A daunting job imo but it sure gave me hope......

[/url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qubNiEghHWo
    Fist sized rocks at the surface and slightly below would fit the specs for a rockhound. I owned a rockhound for several years and I haven't found anything that does a cleaner job. Be prepared to dump a lot, though, as it will also pull in some grass and dirt but it will remove down to 3/4" rocks.
    Brush Chipping and Tree Mulching Texas Style!

Tractor
    John Deere 3720

It sounds like a lot of manual labor coming your way.
    3720, Frontier 6' BB; 6' Rear Blade.; Loaded tires and Ballast Box; Dirt Scoop.

X740; 62" Deck; w/47" Snoblower; 42" Hydraulic Tiller.
    54" Front blade; 48" Belly Blade

Tractor
    JD 3320, 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdogsvc View Post
    Fist sized rocks at the surface and slightly below would fit the specs for a rockhound. I owned a rockhound for several years and I haven't found anything that does a cleaner job. Be prepared to dump a lot, though, as it will also pull in some grass and dirt but it will remove down to 3/4" rocks.
    Thanks, was looking at this today. Now I need to find a rental place that might have this local. That is a 'cool' way to remove rocks without all the backache. So far I've picked out (by hand) a good 10+ bucket loads the past 2 months. I estimate that if I do this every year I might have decent soil in about 10-15 years.

At least I have a healthy pile of rocks to use for other projects

Quote Originally Posted by VPFarm View Post

At least I have a healthy pile of rocks to use for other projects
    At a buddies farm they have pile of fist to foot dia rocks in a pile about 300x200x8ft deep. his neighbor had a pile across the way 2-3x larger, but they have been working it for over 150 years. I wonder if the first rock grubbet also thought "just a few more years...."?

Tractor
    JD 3320, 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by john_bud View Post
    I wonder if the first rock grubbet also thought "just a few more years...."?
    That is Soooooo funny that you would say that. I honestly was wondering that same thing myself. And thanks for the promotion to rock grubbet. It sounds something along the lines of sanitation engineer.

Through my daughter I spoke to a number of horse trainers who all believe that they have a rock garden in their round ring/s...... on this site I've read the same about farms and gardens....... so now I wonder if the only way to rid myself of the problem is to add 5 feet of topsoil (~laughing~).

Your buddy must be one exceptionally patient person, and his dad, and his dad, and his dad, and his dad as well. I'm already frustrated and this is a new project area on the farm/ranch. I "was" planning on plowing up a portion of my cattle pasture and ridding myself of bermuda grass but seeing the number of rocks in my garden and the work involved has me thinking twice about doing that !

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12