/ any use for tree stumps? #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
duplicate

Last edited:
   / any use for tree stumps?
any use for tree bottoms? Full of dirt which is seriously bad on the saw chain.
Into the woods for a critter habitat?
thanks
Drew

Attachments

• P1030275.JPG
    P1030275.JPG
    658.6 KB · Views: 705
   / any use for tree stumps? #3  
Solid tree stumps make a good base for an anvil - but you have to cut them flat.

Solid tree stumps make a good base for an anvil - but you have to cut them flat.

good idea. Have some other humongous pieces cut flat luckily. I was wondering what to do with about six of them, what a pain to split.
How about a modern stonehenge style seating area around a bonfire/fire pit? That's my best idea so far.
almost makes we want to get an anvil... have a big vise with one, but not a real one, something at least a hundred pounds.

Working with this wood makes me more interested in a portable saw mill. We have more firewood than we can use. Some of these downed trees could be nice in furniture, hate to just burn them all.
Like the walnut. Split walnut looks like a beaver's chocolate ice cream cone, almost good enough to eat.

/ any use for tree stumps? #5  
What kind of stumps are they ? Walnut and maple can be rough cut into about a 6" X 6" X 3' and sold for rifle stock blanks...really high quality with lots of pattern and distinctive grain patterning can command top dollar...just a thought...

Rich

What kind of stumps are they ? Walnut and maple can be rough cut into about a 6" X 6" X 3' and sold for rifle stock blanks...really high quality with lots of pattern and distinctive grain patterning can command top dollar...just a thought...

the really big stuff is white oak, then it's a mix of poplar, evergreens, locust, walnut, not much maple I can see in these woods. Sometimes some cherry and apple but not here. Used to be a lot of dogwoods, that certainly makes nice firewood.
But it's the larger pieces that can be sawed with my 24 bar in some kind of simple jig.
I guess it would be best to wash/pressure wash the trunk before trying to cut it, lot of grit everywhere.

Pine stumps are excellent sources for "Fat Lighter".

good idea.
Fatwood, Fatwood Firestarter - Plow & Hearth

buck to a buck fifty per pound. Hmmmm.

I grew up two properties away from a reknown furniture maker, George Nakashima. Don't know how many of you ever heard of him, but I'm sure if you Google the name, his furniture will come up.
I have his book, Soul of a Tree, and his ways of connecting to the tree from which the wood planks came. And an interesting vision and capability to design furniture with those unusual slabs of wood. Very expensive furniture, more
like wooden artwork.

My father always wanted his dining room table and chairs, but could never afford it. More important to send his kids to college, though George and his wife were quite sociable, getting invited to many local
cocktail parties of the 50's and 60's, a far cry from when they were interred as Japanese Americans at the start of WWII.

But what Nakashima taught me was that trees and lumber were a lot more than just sawdust and board feet. That board came from a tree with a soul. Or so Nakashima felt. Interesting guy.
I think I'd better start on something easy like a straight tree trunk of moderate size vs. a stump. Now if I had a 48" bandsaw with a blade that never got dull and had arms like Paul Bunyan...only in my dreams.

/ any use for tree stumps? #9  
Always been a fan of Nakashima. I would have loved to have the chance to meet him. Very interesting person and life he led. Love his benches. A true craftsman. And yes, you have to be very wealthy to afford his work. Good for him.

/ any use for tree stumps? #10  
Sorry DAUGEN, not trying to hijack. My favorite use for stumps is dig a hole and push them in. Gives me a great excuse to use tractor and backhoe and gives me a bunch of dirt to play around with. Can also line them up and make a type of burm. Animals love it.