Adding a case drain to excavator

/ Adding a case drain to excavator #11  
Case drain line needs to have minimum back pressure possible. It is fine to run it through the oil cooler if cooler has no pressure drop acorss it, or less than 5 psi. Case drain should also have a filter in case of motor bearing failure or internal motor failure, to keep the debris from dumping into the reservoir and contaminating the entire hydraulic system. Northern Tool (among others) has 10 micron return fitlers for about $25 which will handle upto 20 GPM. Case drain line normally will only be running about 10% of the pump flow to the motor. So a 20 GPM pump to motor flow will only be around 2 GPM case drain flow. If you don't go through the cooler, dump it into the tank below the fuild level and make sure it is as far away from the suction outlet as possible. Dumping into the suction or close to it can cause a swirl action that could cause areation to oil going into the pump.

/ Adding a case drain to excavator #12  
Refer to the way your PT100 is plumbed. Heat is the biggest cause of failure in mulching equipment especialy in open loop hydraulics which is what you have. At the end of the day it's your machine and your money your sending, just hope you spend it wisely and once.:thumbsup::)

/ Adding a case drain to excavator
Thanks for the help so far.....here's what I'm working with. Looks like that top access lid may be the way to go. 20121229_152939.jpg20121229_152944.jpg

/ Adding a case drain to excavator #14  
Give Ed in our shop a call he has done a couple of 80's and he will be able to walk you through the case drain.

/ Adding a case drain to excavator #15  
Or call Gilles, our tech manager (toll free 877-279-2300). Even if it's not for running one of our head, he'll help you no charge. This is our way to say thank you for your good comments on Eric H's post this past November. :) (Cat 297c, if you read this, don't worry, you will not be forgotten either :thumbsup: )

/ Adding a case drain to excavator #16  
Or call Gilles, our tech manager (toll free 877-279-2300). Even if it's not for running one of our head, he'll help you no charge. This is our way to say thank you for your good comments on Eric H's post this past November. :) (Cat 297c, if you read this, don't worry, you will not be forgotten either :thumbsup: )

Just give me a Cimaf Generation 3 180E for my CAT 299D XHP an we'll call it even:)!!!!!!

/ Adding a case drain to excavator #17  
Just give me a Cimaf Generation 3 180E for my CAT 299D XHP an we'll call it even:)!!!!!!

I'll start giving good comments on the Audi R8, if that can land one in my parkway. :laughing:

/ Adding a case drain to excavator #19  
As SS said , the case drain must be below the fluid level in the tank . Most lines going into the tank below the fluid level are drains , a "TEE" into one of these at the tank works well and eliminates the need for welding and drilling .

/ Adding a case drain to excavator
It appears my tank is pressurized. Would this affect anything installing the line coming in through the top of the tank but returning below the fluid level?