Spraying ditches

/ Spraying ditches #1  

LHS Inc

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3520 eHydro w/300CX FEL
We just got our ditches on the farm mowed after about five years of woody growth. I'd like to keep them looking this good year round and the only thing I can think of besides hiring to have them mowed would be spraying them myself when the new growth starts.

The fields surrounding the ditches are all in the CRP program so access to them at different times of the year wouldn't be a problem.

I'm thinking of using Crossbow which is a 2-4D type product for woody/broadleaf plants thus leaving any grass for erosion protection.

I want to be enviromentally safe as possible due to some of the ditches carrying water at various times of the year.

Rodeo would be safe to use but with the Glyphosate it would kill the grass too.

Is anyone doing this and if so what are you using.

Like I said I would like to keep the ditches clean if thats possible and waiting for the woody veg to grow up enough to cut would defeat my purpose.

We don't have a ditch bank mower and buying one is not an option. I am set up to spray.

Thanks

/ Spraying ditches #2  
I'm thinking of using Crossbow which is a 2-4D type product for woody/broadleaf plants thus leaving any grass for erosion protection.

I want to be enviromentally safe as possible due to some of the ditches carrying water at various times of the year.

Is anyone doing this and if so what are you using.

I use Crossbow along ditches when they do not contain water and there is no immediate prospect for rain. In doing so, I believe I am in compliance with the "Environmental Hazards" portion of Crossbow's label (http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld02H006.pdf).

I understand that Crossbow is rain-fast after two hours, so you should be good to go if you follow the label and spray in dry weather.

Steve

/ Spraying ditches
Thats good to know Steve, thanks for the advice.

/ Spraying ditches #5  
LHS what are you killing is it green briers or actual tree's. the best thing i have used to not kill the grass is [ ALLEY] it will kill small tree's and trah stuff. the good thing about is only got to spray about once every 5 year's .

/ Spraying ditches #6  
How is Crossbow on wind and humidity drift? We use 2,4-D and have to be careful since the drift can, and already has, killed things 30 feet away.

Also, any weeds that survive the application and prove resistant can wind up being very difficult to control later on. We have that problem with Mares tail and it has become resistant to the point it's a menace in yards and farm fields. You can occasionally see an entire field of it. Whatever weeds survive the spray I make an extra effort to eradicate or at least not let go to seed.

/ Spraying ditches #7  
Sixdogs i use alot of 2-4d in the spring and sometimes mix roundup with it never have any drift problem but i use alot of surfactent with it.

/ Spraying ditches #8  
How is Crossbow on wind and humidity drift? We use 2,4-D and have to be careful since the drift can, and already has, killed things 30 feet away.

Crossbow contains 34.4% 2,4-D (ester) and 16.5% triclopyr. You do have to take into account the possibility of drift.
Steve

/ Spraying ditches #9  
Crossbow contains 34.4% 2,4-D (ester) and 16.5% triclopyr. You do have to take into account the possibility of drift.
Steve

Indeed. I took out 50 new red maple seedlings this spring and my neighbor nearly killed four very expensive flowering trees by spraying his beanfield before a lingering drizzle and rain. 2,4-D can hang around for weeks and more, too.

In practice, I have found spraying in the spring or early summer to present the greatest risk of collateral damage. In the fall, maybe after mid September around here, there seems to be little risk.

You may well be better off with the mixes (Crossbow) that have a lower percentage of 2,4-D.

/ Spraying ditches
LHS what are you killing is it green briers or actual tree's. the best thing i have used to not kill the grass is [ ALLEY] it will kill small tree's and trah stuff. the good thing about is only got to spray about once every 5 year's .

Trees are the main thing I'm going after along with some other broadleaf weeds.