Stump removal

/ Stump removal #1  

Hawg Daddy

Tractor
John Deere
Need advice on which piece/pieces of equipment we need to buy/rent to remove ALOT of pine stumps 500ac. or there abouts,it is planted pines 10-12".We want to run cattle on it.Glad I found this site looks like a GREAT site alot of good advice I have already read .Thanks HD

/ Stump removal #2  
Hawg Daddy:
I am the Region Manager for Fecon, we make a couple of products that would work for you, give me a call and I can send you some information.
Thanks,
Frank Plotts
Fecon
fplotts@fecon.com
Fecon

/ Stump removal #3  
Forget grinding and get a dozer with a sheer blade and cut them off at ground level and let the cows walk over them, or push them out where you are going to have hay.

/ Stump removal #4  
With that many acres. Buy a good dzr and do it yourself then sell it and you will come out much better than contracting it out. If you dont have the time or knowledge to do it then just hire an operator for your machine. Stumps that small wont need a big dzr to get em up. If you shear or grind stumps you will be tearing up farm equipment on em for the next 10 yrs.

/ Stump removal
Thanks for the replies..... I found a old d8 with a rebuilt cat. and cable lift for 25,000 we are thinking about but we don,t know enough about it but it sure looks big enough.....I also looked at the stump shear on a excavator but was thinking a dozier would be a little faster and something we could use more than a dozier..any ideas ? Thanks HD

/ Stump removal #6  
Just my opinion but that dzr is too big, too slow, too old and way overpriced. Yall can get a much more efficeint machine for 25k.

/ Stump removal
Thanks pjbci any suggestion on what size or model of dzr would be the best for the job.The man that own the land is from Jackson ,ms that very far from you ?

/ Stump removal #8  
Jackson is about 60 miles from here. I would look for a hydrostat dzr. They are so much quicker and more efficient than the older powershift models. Also they have a lot less things to go wrong on em. I would suggest either deeres 4, 5 or 650 in the H or J series, or Cats D4 or 5 in the G series, or komatsu's D 31, or 37 in the hydrostatic versions. Any of these machines will easily handle the size pine stumps you mentioned. Also you should be able to find one of these for 25-35k and resell it if you decide to for close to what you paid. On that many acres you are probally gonna wear out an undercarriage and have to buy one anyway so dont be afraid to buy a machine that "needs" an undercarriage, Those machines are usually priced right. Just be prepared to spend another 7-8k on new undercarriage. Btw. All these machines are transportable by gooseneck with good electrick brakes.

Last edited:
   / Stump removal #9  
Thanks pjbci any suggestion on what size or model of dzr would be the best for the job.The man that own the land is from Jackson ,ms that very far from you ?

I'm about 2.5 hours from Jackson, fwiw.

You could shear the stumps out, or grub them out and smooth out the area. The second would likely be my choice, do it once and be done with them.

/ Stump removal #10  
Hawg Daddy:
Fecon has a Soil Hog system that allows you to go in and grind the stumps into the ground, the unit has an 80" working width. It eliminates the stumps and prepares the soil for planting, you can go on our website Fecon, look for our you tube videos and see the unit in action. Take a look and let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks,
Frank Plotts
Fecon
fplotts@fecon.com