Pulling T-posts

/ Pulling T-posts #1  

DeeDubya

Silver Member
Tractor
Branson 2910i
Does anyone know a trick to pulling T-posts? I'm removing some old fencing with mostly steel posts. The best method I've found so far is pulling them with my bucket. I tip the bucket back, drive up till it bumps the post close to the top and then tie off a short chain. I just drop a hook on the bucket blade, let the chain hang next to the post and then give it several wraps before hooking it back on itself. I works fairly well and I have the bucket right there to put the posts into. For me it's a one-man job so I'm off/on the tractor twice for each post. A helper would really speed things up but that's not going to happen.

Then, I have all the old wire to roll up. Any tricks to that? They make some wire/cable wrappers that collapse for removal but kinda pricey for my use.

/ Pulling T-posts #2  
I use the same method you do. Drive down the fence line, using a chain on the bucket. I agree that it would go a lot faster as a two-man job. One person wraps/hooks the chain, one operates the tractor.

/ Pulling T-posts #3  
if your not conscerned about hurting the posts or the wire and arent re-using it, then a grapple bucket works well for pulling the posts and rolling the wire.. i have done it many times on a skid steer and would imagine it would work just as well on a tractor and will keep you from climbing on and off. If you are re-using it then nix this idea.

/ Pulling T-posts
I'm not concerned about either. They're going into the scrap steel trailer to be recycled. I don't have a grapple bucket. I'm cutting all the wire off the posts and letting it just fall. After the post are removed I'll twist all 5 strands together at one end, tie it on the tractor and pull it out straight. Then what? Might just have to roll it all by hand. It's not too hard if I make a 3' diameter roll and just walk and roll.

/ Pulling T-posts #5  
im not sure what your set up is or if your tractor has aux hydraulics, and not sure how much fence you have, but if you have the hydraulics and can rent or somehow get your hands on a grapple bucket or grapple rake you will save yourself much much much time.. good luck with your project

Last edited:
   / Pulling T-posts #6  
What about driving to the fence post and wrap the chain around it and hook it to the post. Get on the tractor and pull it out, then drive to the next post with it hanging. Disconnect the previous post and hook the next one at the same tome. Then you only have to get on and off the tractor once per post.

/ Pulling T-posts #8  
they make 1 man, no exit tractor setups for pulling tpost if you have a loader.

there is a chain loop that will grab them.. as well as a slip hollow rectangle that locks on good.

still.. there's the manual tpost popper that tsc sells.. walk along with it and leverag e them up .. etc..

/ Pulling T-posts #9  
I haven't found an easy way in all my time on the farm. We only had one permanent fence on our farm and the rest of the time, we fenced off different sections for the cattle and hogs which meant a lot of building and taking down fences. Fortunately, we always had a brother to help and now I recruit one of my sons if it becomes absolutely necessary. Depending on your soil, age, strength you might catch it wet enough to pull them by hand, pretty tiring, but a lot quicker. Wiggle it around a bit and pull it up then get the stubborn ones with the tractor.