Anyone use a Brush Grubber?

/ Anyone use a Brush Grubber? #1  

mvwicker

Gold Member
Tractor
2007 New Holland TC34DA
I'm considering getting a Brush Grubber Xtreme to pull out some shrubs (clumps of 5 or so 1" canes) and saplings (2-3" hardwood, 3-5" pine and cedar). One possibility is to use this device:
BrushGrubber | Brush Grubber Xtreme
Does anyone here have experience with it that you would like to share?

/ Anyone use a Brush Grubber? #2  
I used one quite a bit last year, and it worked well. I was pulling saplings 1" - 3" in diameter. Also used it to pull out chunks of a large hollow stump that I had cut into wedges (vertically) with a chainsaw. Great for pulling up fence posts too.

/ Anyone use a Brush Grubber? #3  
I had one of those. It was very susceptible to bending. At one point, it broke a shrub I was pulling using a chain and it shot back and landed on the hood denting it and chipping the windshield of my truck. I therefore would not recommend one.

/ Anyone use a Brush Grubber?
I used one quite a bit last year, and it worked well. I was pulling saplings 1" - 3" in diameter. Also used it to pull out chunks of a large hollow stump that I had cut into wedges (vertically) with a chainsaw. Great for pulling up fence posts too.

Clever! :thumbsup:

/ Anyone use a Brush Grubber?
I had one of those. It was very susceptible to bending. At one point, it broke a shrub I was pulling using a chain and it shot back and landed on the hood denting it and chipping the windshield of my truck. I therefore would not recommend one.

Ouch! which size grubber did you have?

/ Anyone use a Brush Grubber? #6  
Hey MV, I have had good luck using a grade 70 5/16 length of chain and wrapping it several time around whatever I was trying to pull out. I think that paticular chain is 20 ft. Also pulled them out with 5/16 winch cable on my warn winch on my jeep by doing similar. Dont know how it work on cane, being slick, but since you were pulling clumps. Might work alright. If you get a brush grubber, let us know how it goes, been kind interested in one my self. LUTT

/ Anyone use a Brush Grubber? #7  
I'm considering getting a Brush Grubber Xtreme to pull out some shrubs (clumps of 5 or so 1" canes) and saplings (2-3" hardwood, 3-5" pine and cedar). One possibility is to use this device:
BrushGrubber | Brush Grubber Xtreme
Does anyone here have experience with it that you would like to share?

I got the Brush Grubber Xtreme Plus, Model# BG-20. Notice "Plus" and model# BG-20 From Northern last week, but haven't used it yet. It is the biggest one that Brushgrubber makes. Local store, not in stock, so ordered it online. It weighs 35 pounds!

This picture is confusing, the spring holds it closed, you have to pull it open to use it. The spring makes it stay where you put it.
bg z (Large).jpg
Brush Grubber Xtreme Plus, Model# BG-20 | Weed Control Brush Removal| Northern Tool + Equipment

/ Anyone use a Brush Grubber? #8  
Here is a picture of mine. It is the largest one they sell. I used it some last summer to pull out some stumps and skid around some logs. It's a great tool. I will say that it is heavy and tough on the arms after awhile. I put my hitch next to it so you'll have some comparison in size.

image-1917668146.jpg

/ Anyone use a Brush Grubber? #9  
Hey MV, I have had good luck using a grade 70 5/16 length of chain and wrapping it several time around whatever I was trying to pull out. I think that paticular chain is 20 ft. Also pulled them out with 5/16 winch cable on my warn winch on my jeep by doing similar. Dont know how it work on cane, being slick, but since you were pulling clumps. Might work alright. If you get a brush grubber, let us know how it goes, been kind interested in one my self. LUTT

I have always just used a 5/16 chain for any thing over about 1 1/2 or 2 inches. Works well, and for the smaller stuff I made a small chain welded onto a 3 inch piece of 1 inch square tubing and a 4 inch 1/4 inch bolt welded onto the other end of the chain to act as a "needle" to thread thru back thru the tubing easily. Works great for pulling out smaller brush

James K0UA

/ Anyone use a Brush Grubber? #10  

That was my first thought upon seeing that product. That is scary dangerous!!!