Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    2007 New Holland TC34DA

Default Anyone use a Brush Grubber?

I'm considering getting a Brush Grubber Xtreme to pull out some shrubs (clumps of 5 or so 1" canes) and saplings (2-3" hardwood, 3-5" pine and cedar). One possibility is to use this device:
    BrushGrubber | Brush Grubber Xtreme
    Does anyone here have experience with it that you would like to share?

Tractor
    Kubota L3200

Default Re: Anyone use a Brush Grubber?

I used one quite a bit last year, and it worked well. I was pulling saplings 1" - 3" in diameter. Also used it to pull out chunks of a large hollow stump that I had cut into wedges (vertically) with a chainsaw. Great for pulling up fence posts too.

Gold Member
    Tractor
    2012 John Deere 3720 eHydro

I had one of those. It was very susceptible to bending. At one point, it broke a shrub I was pulling using a chain and it shot back and landed on the hood denting it and chipping the windshield of my truck. I therefore would not recommend one.

Tractor
    2007 New Holland TC34DA

Quote Originally Posted by s219 View Post
    I used one quite a bit last year, and it worked well. I was pulling saplings 1" - 3" in diameter. Also used it to pull out chunks of a large hollow stump that I had cut into wedges (vertically) with a chainsaw. Great for pulling up fence posts too.
    Clever!

Tractor
    2007 New Holland TC34DA

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hunter View Post
    I had one of those. It was very susceptible to bending. At one point, it broke a shrub I was pulling using a chain and it shot back and landed on the hood denting it and chipping the windshield of my truck. I therefore would not recommend one.
    Ouch! which size grubber did you have?

Tractor
    John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew

Hey MV, I have had good luck using a grade 70 5/16 length of chain and wrapping it several time around whatever I was trying to pull out. I think that paticular chain is 20 ft. Also pulled them out with 5/16 winch cable on my warn winch on my jeep by doing similar. Dont know how it work on cane, being slick, but since you were pulling clumps. Might work alright. If you get a brush grubber, let us know how it goes, been kind interested in one my self. LUTT

Tractor
    Toolcat 5610 F. Bobcat V417 Versahandler. TORO+Loader

Quote Originally Posted by mvwicker View Post
    I'm considering getting a Brush Grubber Xtreme to pull out some shrubs (clumps of 5 or so 1" canes) and saplings (2-3" hardwood, 3-5" pine and cedar). One possibility is to use this device:
    BrushGrubber | Brush Grubber Xtreme
    Does anyone here have experience with it that you would like to share?
    I got the Brush Grubber Xtreme Plus, Model# BG-20. Notice "Plus" and model# BG-20 From Northern last week, but haven't used it yet. It is the biggest one that Brushgrubber makes. Local store, not in stock, so ordered it online. It weighs 35 pounds!

This picture is confusing, the spring holds it closed, you have to pull it open to use it. The spring makes it stay where you put it.
    Anyone use a Brush Grubber?-bg-z-large-.jpg
    Brush Grubber Xtreme Plus, Model# BG-20 | Weed Control Brush Removal| Northern Tool + Equipment

Tractor
    JD 3320

Here is a picture of mine. It is the largest one they sell. I used it some last summer to pull out some stumps and skid around some logs. It's a great tool. I will say that it is heavy and tough on the arms after awhile. I put my hitch next to it so you'll have some comparison in size.

Anyone use a Brush Grubber?-image-1917668146.jpg

Tractor
    Kioti DK35se Hydrostat

Quote Originally Posted by lutt View Post
    Hey MV, I have had good luck using a grade 70 5/16 length of chain and wrapping it several time around whatever I was trying to pull out. I think that paticular chain is 20 ft. Also pulled them out with 5/16 winch cable on my warn winch on my jeep by doing similar. Dont know how it work on cane, being slick, but since you were pulling clumps. Might work alright. If you get a brush grubber, let us know how it goes, been kind interested in one my self. LUTT

I have always just used a 5/16 chain for any thing over about 1 1/2 or 2 inches. Works well, and for the smaller stuff I made a small chain welded onto a 3 inch piece of 1 inch square tubing and a 4 inch 1/4 inch bolt welded onto the other end of the chain to act as a "needle" to thread thru back thru the tubing easily. Works great for pulling out smaller brush

James K0UA
    James KUA

Kioti DK35se hydrostat with 2 QA buckets, 48 inch. King Kutter Rotary Cutter. 750 lbs ballast box. Loaded tires, Construction Attachments SSQA Lightweight Pallet forks. EA 50 inch single lid "wicked" Grapple. Satisfied Everlast PA160 welder owner How to add a link to a post . Best way to search TBN

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3400

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hunter View Post
    That was my first thought upon seeing that product. That is scary dangerous!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast