Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Case IH 255, Gravely 8199G

Default Using skidding tongs

Timber Tuff Swivel Grab Skidding Tongs 32in.W Jaws, Model# TMW-04SS | Log Skidding| Northern Tool + Equipment

I've always used a chain to wrap around a downed tree but sometimes it's hard to get under the tree.
    So I invested in this pretty heavy duty tong, which has fairly sharp points on it.

Never used one before. If the wood is a little soft, will this bury itself in so it's hard to get it off the log?
    Does one need to carry a mallet or hand sledge?
    Just wondering what downsides there are to this gadget, if any.
    thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -p1010884-2-jpg   -p1010885-2-jpg  
    2012 Kubota L5740HSTC3 with FEL and Long grapple, 1986 Case IH 255, Land Pride PD10 PHD, Land Pride RCR60 & RCF2084 mowers, Land Pride 4' box blade and rear rake, Fred Cain subsoiler, County Line potato plow, County Line 1 bottom plow, 1986 Gravely 8199G with tow behind DR rototiller, 50" deck+40" Gravely wing mower, Gravely snowblower, Swisher 44 rough cut mower,Ariens snowblower, Echo 450-18 & 600-24, Echo PPT280, 2006 JD LX280, , 1968 Cub Cadet 125, Husky-Speeco 35 ton splitter

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case

Default Re: Using skidding tongs

I just bought the 23" one from there. I bent it up on the first day. I had it attached to my quick hitch and would back up to the log. Lower the tongs down on and over the log. Raise the 3 pt and take off. Worked great until I pulled a little to hard. The swivel one would probably work a little better. I'm going to have to try and bend these out or return them for something else.

Brett

Tractor
    yanmar 186D....JD LT180....DR Brush Cutter

I use an old set of tongs all the time.....never had a problem getting them out of the log. The points on your tongs look a bit sharper but shouldn't be a problem. If they do stick....a light tap should solve it.
    I Intend to Live Forever.....So Far....So Good!

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
    Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Massey Ferguson 2615L

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    I just bought the 23" one from there. I bent it up on the first day. I had it attached to my quick hitch and would back up to the log. Lower the tongs down on and over the log. Raise the 3 pt and take off. Worked great until I pulled a little to hard. The swivel one would probably work a little better. I'm going to have to try and bend these out or return them for something else.

Brett
    So you tore them up and are going to try straighten them, and try to return them for a set that swivels? correct? You think they will go for it?

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Case

Quote Originally Posted by teampryor View Post
    So you tore them up and are going to try straighten them, and try to return them for a set that swivels? correct? You think they will go for it?
    If I can't get them straightened out enough to move freely I'm going to exchange them for the one with a swivel. Problem is nobody has these in stock in my area so they have to be ordered. They are tweaked by the ring. I think they should've lasted longer than a day. The log was on the high end they were designed for but I was not abusing them. I guess I got what I paid for. At the local hardware store they had some that were the same size but wanted $200 for them. Felt considerably heavier

Brett

Tractor
    Many

I have the Timber Tuff 25" and just bought the 32", both have the swivel. I have not used the 32" yet, maybe this weekend since I am clearing trees. The 25" seemed to work fine and did not need to have the tips hammered in. I did not bend it, but have not used it real hard. If I was pulling heavy wood, I would chain up. I use the tongs mostly to cantilever haul medium firewood logs off of the front of the FEL so I don't drag them through the dirt and dull the chainsaw when I cut.

Tractor
    JD 3320

I just picked up a set of these as well. I bought mine at TSC. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

-image-2832720339-jpg

Tractor
    Kubota BX 1500, FEL, MMM, PTO Bagger, Box, blade,bushhog

I have been using the to,amber tuff tongs from TSC they seem to hold up well. A lot easier than trying to do this with a chain and log jack
    Kubota BX 1500, 54" MMM, FEL, 4ft. box blade, 4ft bush hog, PTO bagger
    Scotts GT 2554, 54"
    Sears LT1000 38"

Husqvarna DRT900H Tiller
    Sears Push Mower
    Husqvarna 365XT 70cc chainsaw 24" bar
    Stihl MS261CM 50cc chainsaw 20" bar
    Stihl FS55R Trimmer (2)
    Stihl BG 55 Blower

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L5740, Case IH 255, Gravely 8199G

I thought the 32 inch model would have the thickest steel, even if I didn't go that big, and I've gotten close. It's quite heavy, but I have no idea what kind of steel it's made of.

there is another thread on this, but important to note these are pulling tongs and not lifting tongs. The latter are about triple the price, likely due to product liability. And hopefully forged construction with lots of extra capacity. I'd expect this tong to bend long before my chain or drawbar does, which I'm fine with. But with the swivel, if the links aren't hung up, more likely one of those links will give way, though there are two of them. I think Timber Tuff has been around enough, occupying the high end of the low end.

I looked up real forestry lifting and pulling tongs. Serious equipment.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    massey GC 2400 JD LA 145

I use mine to lift firewood up on my log splitter. I hook into the ends that are just hard wood. It worked ok but at timed it just would not hook so I sharpened them with my 4" grinder, problem solved.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast