Using skidding tongs

/ Using skidding tongs #1  

daugen

Super Star Member
Tractor
in between now
Timber Tuff Swivel Grab Skidding Tongs — 32in.W Jaws, Model# TMW-04SS | Log Skidding| Northern Tool + Equipment

I've always used a chain to wrap around a downed tree but sometimes it's hard to get under the tree.
So I invested in this pretty heavy duty tong, which has fairly sharp points on it.

Never used one before. If the wood is a little soft, will this bury itself in so it's hard to get it off the log?
Does one need to carry a mallet or hand sledge?
Just wondering what downsides there are to this gadget, if any.
thanks

Attachments

• P1010884 (2).jpg
    P1010884 (2).jpg
    364.1 KB · Views: 370
  • P1010885 (2).jpg
    P1010885 (2).jpg
    341 KB · Views: 387
   / Using skidding tongs #2  
I just bought the 23" one from there. I bent it up on the first day. I had it attached to my quick hitch and would back up to the log. Lower the tongs down on and over the log. Raise the 3 pt and take off. Worked great until I pulled a little to hard. The swivel one would probably work a little better. I'm going to have to try and bend these out or return them for something else.

Brett

/ Using skidding tongs #3  
I use an old set of tongs all the time.....never had a problem getting them out of the log. The points on your tongs look a bit sharper but shouldn't be a problem. If they do stick....a light tap should solve it.:thumbsup:

/ Using skidding tongs #4  
I just bought the 23" one from there. I bent it up on the first day. I had it attached to my quick hitch and would back up to the log. Lower the tongs down on and over the log. Raise the 3 pt and take off. Worked great until I pulled a little to hard. The swivel one would probably work a little better. I'm going to have to try and bend these out or return them for something else.

Brett

So you tore them up and are going to try straighten them, and try to return them for a set that swivels? correct? You think they will go for it?

/ Using skidding tongs #5  
So you tore them up and are going to try straighten them, and try to return them for a set that swivels? correct? You think they will go for it?

If I can't get them straightened out enough to move freely I'm going to exchange them for the one with a swivel. Problem is nobody has these in stock in my area so they have to be ordered. They are tweaked by the ring. I think they should've lasted longer than a day. The log was on the high end they were designed for but I was not abusing them. I guess I got what I paid for. At the local hardware store they had some that were the same size but wanted $200 for them. Felt considerably heavier

Brett

/ Using skidding tongs #6  
I have the Timber Tuff 25" and just bought the 32", both have the swivel. I have not used the 32" yet, maybe this weekend since I am clearing trees. The 25" seemed to work fine and did not need to have the tips hammered in. I did not bend it, but have not used it real hard. If I was pulling heavy wood, I would chain up. I use the tongs mostly to cantilever haul medium firewood logs off of the front of the FEL so I don't drag them through the dirt and dull the chainsaw when I cut.

/ Using skidding tongs #7  
I just picked up a set of these as well. I bought mine at TSC. I'm looking forward to trying them out.

image-2832720339.jpg

/ Using skidding tongs #8  
I have been using the to,amber tuff tongs from TSC they seem to hold up well. A lot easier than trying to do this with a chain and log jack

/ Using skidding tongs
I thought the 32 inch model would have the thickest steel, even if I didn't go that big, and I've gotten close. It's quite heavy, but I have no idea what kind of steel it's made of.

there is another thread on this, but important to note these are pulling tongs and not lifting tongs. The latter are about triple the price, likely due to product liability. And hopefully forged construction with lots of extra capacity. I'd expect this tong to bend long before my chain or drawbar does, which I'm fine with. But with the swivel, if the links aren't hung up, more likely one of those links will give way, though there are two of them. I think Timber Tuff has been around enough, occupying the high end of the low end.

I looked up real forestry lifting and pulling tongs. Serious equipment.

/ Using skidding tongs #10  
I use mine to lift firewood up on my log splitter. I hook into the ends that are just hard wood. It worked ok but at timed it just would not hook so I sharpened them with my 4" grinder, problem solved.