single tipped carbides

/ single tipped carbides #1  

cat 297c

Gold Member
Tractor
Cat 299D XHP, Cat 297c, Rayco C140
I'm about to have to order new teeth for my Cat hm415b (FAE painted black), I'm leaning towards Quadco chippers but have never tried single tipped carbides. I would think that the singles would cut way better than doubles but the finished product would but larger. I would love to get some feed back on the performance, finished product, durability of the single tipped carbides.

/ single tipped carbides #2  
If the Quadco teeth are similar to my Loftness carbides, the single teeth last longer but leaves larger material. The double "planer" teeth produce a finer product, but shatter on the occasional rock. The single carbides will break rocks. When the last double teeth are broken, I'll go back to single carbides.

/ single tipped carbides
If the Quadco teeth are similar to my Loftness carbides, the single teeth last longer but leaves larger material. The double "planer" teeth produce a finer product, but shatter on the occasional rock. The single carbides will break rocks. When the last double teeth are broken, I'll go back to single carbides.

How much larger is the mulch with the singles compared to the doubles?

/ single tipped carbides #4  
Single tips will leave larger mulch but also chew up the timber quicker. One more pass soon fixes that problem and you have more than made the time up with speed of the earlier passes. On hill country in high rainfall areas I like to leave the mulch a little larger to prevent errosion.:2cents::thumbsup:

/ single tipped carbides
Single tips will leave larger mulch but also chew up the timber quicker. One more pass soon fixes that problem and you have more than made the time up with speed of the earlier passes. On hill country in high rainfall areas I like to leave the mulch a little larger to prevent errosion.:2cents::thumbsup:[/QUOTE
]
Thanks, Tonyoz
How u been doing haven't heard from u in a while

/ single tipped carbides #6  
Been flatout working for the last 8mths in areas with little or no internet service,but all is good with plenty of work.
One thing I should mention about single carbide teeth is in soft timber they be shower than what you may all ready have, found this out the other day when I had to mow a 1000 full grown pine trees

/ single tipped carbides
Glad to hear someone's busy in this economy

/ single tipped carbides #8  
Single tips will leave larger mulch but also chew up the timber quicker. One more pass soon fixes that problem and you have more than made the time up with speed of the earlier passes. On hill country in high rainfall areas I like to leave the mulch a little larger to prevent errosion.:2cents::thumbsup:

Tonyoz is correct, the single carbides produce chunks of wood, the double carbides produce chips. My worst enemy is crab apple trees, they are a long fiber wood that does not cut well and wraps around the drum, jamming the head. Almost like trying to mulch rope. These are best suited for double carbides to chip the wood. Multiple passes will turn chunks into chips.