Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Default Re: "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!!

Quote Originally Posted by ALittleDirtWontHurt View Post
    I'm leaning towards the PT 110 since I'll be using it mostly for a mulching application (with shear and grapple as well) over the Cat, due mainly because of the lower ground pressure and higher ground clearance. More coolant capacity and hyd. oil capacity seems like a plus too with hot temps. What sort of issues have you had on the PT?
    I know this is off topic, but since you have all the attachments I have a question about, I want to ask. My neighbor has offered to help me clear about 5 acres of not-too-mature forest land (a lot of smaller pines) with his RC100, Fecon mulcher, 14" shears, and grapple.

I can also us his (or I may buy) excavator. Would you suggest that it's better to shear the trees at ground level, and mulch up the brush, (better erosion protection and less forest floor disruption) or would you suggest ripping out the tree, stumps and all, with the excavator? (no worries about stumps, probably faster)?

Thanks for any comments you can give to me.
    -Matt
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Default Re: "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!!

ouch ! - good move to move it in right place, but you could have been trapped in that seat with fire going. glad you were not hurt.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
    I shopped hard. I demoed the 299. It is a nice machine, but i ended up with a pt 110. I have approx 100 hrs on it.. Its a beast. Not trouble free mind you but very easy to maintain. I would advise you to pay very close attention to your dealer support and who will be your warranty service provider.
    Good point on having a strong dealer nearby. My local dealer that sells Terex says they have had three letters from Terex already on the PT110- one for the motor mounts, one for replacing the reversing fan and I can't remember the other one. They understand that there was only one test machine.

Platinum Member

Sorry to see your machine burned up. Always in the back of my mind when mulching. I had a fire about a year and a half ago. Got the fuel tank and that was it. Three fire extinguishers and the water from my ice cooler and I got the fire out. Never did figure out what happened but surmised something similar to what you did. Clean machine, too. Just happens to the best of us. Good luck on your search for a new machine.
    Brush Chipping and Tree Mulching Texas Style!

Bronze Member ALittleDirtWontHurt's Avatar
    Tractor
    Terex PT110 Forestry, New Holland LT185b, New Holland TC33, Kubota KX080, Terex PT30, ASV RC50, Rayco C140, Polaris ATP 500

Quote Originally Posted by Piston View Post
    I know this is off topic, but since you have all the attachments I have a question about, I want to ask. My neighbor has offered to help me clear about 5 acres of not-too-mature forest land (a lot of smaller pines) with his RC100, Fecon mulcher, 14" shears, and grapple.

I can also us his (or I may buy) excavator. Would you suggest that it's better to shear the trees at ground level, and mulch up the brush, (better erosion protection and less forest floor disruption) or would you suggest ripping out the tree, stumps and all, with the excavator? (no worries about stumps, probably faster)?

Thanks for any comments you can give to me.

There are different ways to go about it, and depending on your timeline and desired result, some ways may be better than others. I'm sure others will chime in as well on this.
    A mulcher will do well on 5 acres of small pines alone without shearing them down (unless you want them), provided they are on average smaller than 6-8". The RC100 with a mulcher will certainly take a larger pine than 6-8", but you'll burn a good bit of fuel and spend some time clearing five acres, not to mention that's pretty hard on a machine that already takes a beating.
    The grapple/root-rake we use quite a bit to take up smaller trees provided the soil is fairly soft and piling (and/or burning) is an option. It'll take the tree, root and all, and the topsoil usually shakes loose. This will be much more difficult in clay.
    We usually prefer to just mulch down the pines rather than do any grubbing (excavator or root rake) if we can help it. Once flush to the ground, a pine stump will rot fairly quickly (not to mention you still have all your topsoil).

Tractor
    Fecon FTX 90 /Pieces of an ASV 4810 / JD 440b skidder / JD 450b dozer / Bobcat T320 / Hydro Ax 311c

Quote Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
    I shopped hard. I demoed the 299. It is a nice machine, but i ended up with a pt 110. I have approx 100 hrs on it.. Its a beast. Not trouble free mind you but very easy to maintain. I would advise you to pay very close attention to your dealer support and who will be your warranty service provider.
    Good advice. If you don't have a GOOD servicing dealer, you don't have much.

Andy

Tractor
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410

Quote Originally Posted by ALittleDirtWontHurt View Post
    There are different ways to go about it, and depending on your timeline and desired result, some ways may be better than others. I'm sure others will chime in as well on this.
    A mulcher will do well on 5 acres of small pines alone without shearing them down (unless you want them), provided they are on average smaller than 6-8". The RC100 with a mulcher will certainly take a larger pine than 6-8", but you'll burn a good bit of fuel and spend some time clearing five acres, not to mention that's pretty hard on a machine that already takes a beating.
    The grapple/root-rake we use quite a bit to take up smaller trees provided the soil is fairly soft and piling (and/or burning) is an option. It'll take the tree, root and all, and the topsoil usually shakes loose. This will be much more difficult in clay.
    We usually prefer to just mulch down the pines rather than do any grubbing (excavator or root rake) if we can help it. Once flush to the ground, a pine stump will rot fairly quickly (not to mention you still have all your topsoil).
    Thank you for the good advice, much appreciated!
    -Matt
    Kubota L4610 and John Deere 410 - WR Long 64" Grapple (best attachment ever!) QA front forks, rear forks, Brown 472 HD Rotary Mower, Land Pride RBT4096 hydro blade, Woods 7200 Power Rake, homemade 3 pt log splitter, Land Pride rake/blade combo, Land Pride HRL 3578 box blade (Hydro scarifiers), Shaver SC50 3 pt. Stumpgrinder, FitRiteHydraulics TnT, 6" Vermeer PTO Chipper (Hydro feed), Disc Plow, Ratchet Rake, LP HD25 Hydraulic PHD, Woodmizer LT15 portable sawmill
    Rear Remotes Install

Tractor
    Fecon FTX 90

Anyone can tell me how much diesel burn a fecon FTX 140 In full time mulch?
    And how many hours last stone teeth?

thankļ½“s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12