"no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!!

/ "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!! #1  

ALittleDirtWontHurt

Bronze Member
Tractor
Gyrotrac GT-25, Terex PT110 Forestry, New Holland TC33, Kubota KX080, Terex PT30, Rayco C140, Polaris ATP 500
20130321_145508.jpg

guess this is the motivation i needed to go ahead and buy that new machine

/ "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!! #2  
Rut Roh!... that can't be good.. I hope you had insurance:eek:

/ "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!! #3  
yikes! what happened?

/ "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!! #4  
Oh my god!

Can we get some details?

On a positive note, the site looks great!

/ "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!!
it was my last 30 minutes of running on a 4 acre job.....caused by debris in the engine compartment (which we clean out CONSTANTLY), coupled with a windy dry spell, ignited by the exhaust pipe, with the reversing fan fueling the flames! the "stock" fire extinguisher was no match, although it only started as very small ember that barely made any smoke. after a few five gallon buckets of water i ran down through the woods, i quickly realized she was done. the fire department had to take care of the rest. luckily they were able to drive the brush truck to the site (three different times!). i ditched it in the middle of the field knowing it could turn bad quickly, which ended up being a great move because otherwise half the county would still be burning. the mulcher head survived at least.

now i need to find a way to drag that sucker out of the woods to where the winch truck can take it.

replacing it with a CAT 299D XHP or a TEREX PT110 Forestry. Any thoughts anyone between these two???
20130322_140357.jpg
20130322_140736.jpg

/ "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!! #6  
I shopped hard. I demoed the 299. It is a nice machine, but i ended up with a pt 110. I have approx 100 hrs on it.. Its a beast. Not trouble free mind you but very easy to maintain. I would advise you to pay very close attention to your dealer support and who will be your warranty service provider.

/ "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!!
I shopped hard. I demoed the 299. It is a nice machine, but i ended up with a pt 110. I have approx 100 hrs on it.. Its a beast. Not trouble free mind you but very easy to maintain. I would advise you to pay very close attention to your dealer support and who will be your warranty service provider.

I'm leaning towards the PT 110 since I'll be using it mostly for a mulching application (with shear and grapple as well) over the Cat, due mainly because of the lower ground pressure and higher ground clearance. More coolant capacity and hyd. oil capacity seems like a plus too with hot temps. What sort of issues have you had on the PT?

/ "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!! #8  
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Best wishes.

/ "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!! #9  
Glad no one got hurt.

/ "no burning, no hauling.....just mulch" ---- I MEANT NO BURN-PILES!! #10  
OUCH..hope the insurance comes thru.