Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tractor
    L45 kubota

We have 300 acres and planning on getting a bx42 to go on my kubota l45 can't wait to get it and try it out!

Tractor
    JD 2720

Default Re: Need chipping advice

The BX42 is a great chipper but it's not a shredder. I think the few negative comments I've seen about it come from the fact that it isn't designed to eat small branches with other small branches coming off of them. They just get hung up in the chute and you end up having to push them into the chipping wheel. I could have gone with the BXM42 to get the shredding hopper in addition to the chipping chute but it was just too big for my taste and not suited for my tractor. There are times when I have to prepare the pile by lopping off the offshoot branches to create more straight branches that feed better but it's a small trade off for the smaller attachment that doesn't take up much room and is easy to maneuver. I just got done using it for a few hours and it has been well worth the investment. I'll post some photos soon.
    Gus

2012 JD 2720, 200CX FEL w/61" bucket, I-Match, Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Wallenstein WX620 splitter

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Pasquali 988

Hello I have a Wallenstien BX42 on my38hp Pasquali tractor and it performs great. I use it for getting rid of brush/limbs after wood harvesting and it doesnt have a problem with limbs with branches on it. I used to have a DR chipper that had a 3 inch limit but the issue with it was the ability to get llimbs with branches on it down the shute. The BX42 will take almost any oddly shaped limb with branchs and self feed it in.

Occasionlly it clogs on pine branches so I just need to mix that in with some hard wood. Also when the blades get dull it will not self feed as well with small branches and is a good indication its time to reverse or sharpen the blades.

Tractor
    JD 5075E

Quote Originally Posted by econometrics View Post

Well, I just stopped myself and thought of it like this...
    However, I could rent that bigger chipper ($400) 8 times before I got to $3500. And I could rent that smaller chipper ($140) 25 times before I paid as much as the BX62.well.
    ......also calculate the resale value of those dang hard to find used chippers when your done with the project and subtract that out of your expense. Say you can resell it for $2700, then how does renting look?
    JD5075E, Frontier RC2084 Rotary Cutter, Wallenstein FX65 Skidding Winch

Tractor
    JD 2720

Quote Originally Posted by mpilihp View Post
    Hello I have a Wallenstien BX42 on my38hp Pasquali tractor and it performs great. I use it for getting rid of brush/limbs after wood harvesting and it doesnt have a problem with limbs with branches on it. I used to have a DR chipper that had a 3 inch limit but the issue with it was the ability to get llimbs with branches on it down the shute. The BX42 will take almost any oddly shaped limb with branchs and self feed it in.

Occasionlly it clogs on pine branches so I just need to mix that in with some hard wood. Also when the blades get dull it will not self feed as well with small branches and is a good indication its time to reverse or sharpen the blades.
    Like I said, it's a chipper and not a shredder. It does perform very well and will eat anything as long as the branches can reach the chipping wheel, and if the branches have a bunch of smaller branches sticking out from the main branch, they'll never even get to the chipping wheel. A series of small branches will also clog the exit chute, as you and I both noticed. My point was that the Wallenstein chipper/shredder would be ideal to cover all the bases but it's too big for my tractor. I went with the chipper and just prep the branches beforehand or make a pile of smaller branches and borrow my father's Bearcat chipper/shredder when the pile gets big enough. He lives just 5 minutes away and is happy to loan it to me because he's a good dude.
    Gus

2012 JD 2720, 200CX FEL w/61" bucket, I-Match, Wallenstein BX42 chipper, Wallenstein WX620 splitter

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Pasquali 988

Hi Gus I havent had any problem of it not pulling in limbs with branches, the only issue is with pine occasionally it will clog but all I do is mix it with some hard wood and go easy and its fine. Its really an issue of of the gap between the stationary blade and the moving blades if the gap is two wide it will allow the smaller branches to go through without geting chopped.

Tractor
    Kubota 5740,BX25D

I put a Wallenstien BXM32 on our new kubota BX25D and although I only put an hour on it up to this point it eats anything around 3" and then some. The chipper is good for a 1" and a bit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Need chipping advice-image-jpg  
    ...Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude...

Visit us on the web @ www.specialtyrepairs.ca

YouTube Video's: http://www.youtube.com/user/7863348?feature=guide

2011 Kubota 5740/854 FEL/L2674 Blower/Artic Angle blade with 3rd function set up,Rain Tracker Wiper system, custom built vertical exhaust,Grammer Air Ride Seat and other custom stuff
    2013 Kubota BX25D with many mods
    Kubota ZTR ZG 222 Z
    Custom Toyota Fork Lift

Tractor
    JD 2720

Great set-up. I like the bottom stand with the tool box and the pocket for the trimmers.
    Gus

Tractor
    Kubota B3300SU

So If I understand correctly, you are going to be chipping the charred remains of a fire? Man, that is going to be a messy job.

I have a Wallenstein BX42 on my B3300. No problem feeding since it has a 4" x 10" capacity. Like someone else pointed out, the Wallenstein will have a great resale value if you ever decide to get rid of it.
    '12 John Deere X320; '10 Kubota B3300SU with 504 loader with Kubota Quick Attach, Home built forklift carrier that fits on the FEL or 3 point, Landpride SGC0660 grapple, 3 point grader blade, 3 point dump bucket, BH77 backhoe with BXpanded quick attach for buckets, BXpanded trenching bucket, BXpanded ripper, 3 point subsoiler, Landpride RCR 1860 rotary cutter, 3 point log splitter, 3pt quich hitch, Pat's Easy Change, and hydraulic top link

Gold Member
    Tractor
    currently l4400 stick

Thinking outside of the box, with my experience
    You might think of leaving scattered dead black fire kill trees. Over a period of time they will enhance wildlife habitat.
    Cutting and piling to chip especially in firekill is dirty and nasty and very bad for your lungs. Think of the charcoal carcnigens.
    You SHOULD wear a respirator. Generally the easiest way to chip multiple trees for a small set up is to fell and chip. Cut one, or two and chip. It is easier to sort out and not so overwhelming. If you go in there and fell them all over the place you will have a mess to contend with. Directionally fall them so you can minimize your picking up and sorting.

I have extensive logging experience as well as residential tree chipping. just my two cents worth. Work and play safe
    4400GST SSQA bucket,
    Landpride forks,
    Bobcat manure forks
    five ft Old rotary mower
    Post hole auger
    Leon rear blade
    Lx178 LX172 Deeres
    Husky 372s 394
    little Stihls
    haywagons
    big horses
    Loadstar FBD