Cooking with treated mesquite

/ Cooking with treated mesquite #1  

CTW

Silver Member
I have quite a bit of mesquite that I've killed with reclaim/remedy/diesel. I would like to harvest it for bar b que and smoking duties but I'm wondering now if there is residual herbicide still inside the wood. Some trees were stem sprayed while other we're basal sprayed. It's the basal sprayed plants that I'm really concerned with because the chemical is drawn through the whole tree on its way the the root system. Thoughts?

/ Cooking with treated mesquite #4  
i wouldn't use it
I wouldn't consider it. If you or anyone in your family ever did get sick you would always wonder if that one decision was the worst decision. It's not worth it

/ Cooking with treated mesquite
Knowing it's treated is one thing but where is the store bought stuff harvested? Think I'll save the treated stuff for the burn pile and cook with the "naturally" dead oak, mesquite, etc. Thanks.

/ Cooking with treated mesquite #6  
wow. I wouldn't chance it. For that matter, we never know what's in the bag of store bought mesquite but knowing for sure that the mesquite was treated makes me not want to use it. Diesel lasts a long time in the soil so I imagine it can soak into the wood, too. At the very least, there could be some unpleasant taste.

/ Cooking with treated mesquite #7  
I once saw a picture of a small filling station/eatery with signs that read "DIESEL" "FRIED CHICKEN".

I seems that you might want one that says: "DIESEL/POISON SMOKED FOOD" .

I would burn that stuff in the burn pile, not the grill.

/ Cooking with treated mesquite #8  
If we're close, bring your chainsaw and trailer. I have a bunch that I bull dozed for a fence line a couple of years ago

/ Cooking with treated mesquite #9  
I once saw a picture of a small filling station/eatery with signs that read "DIESEL" "FRIED CHICKEN".

I seems that you might want one that says: "DIESEL/POISON SMOKED FOOD" .

I would burn that stuff in the burn pile, not the grill.

Van Horn,Tx

van.jpg