Tractor
    NA

Default Prepping a new yours with a Rockhound Rake

Hello,
    I am trying to prep about 1.2 acres of topsoil that has been spread by a dozer so I can put grass seed on it. From what I have read a Rockhound rake is what I need to get the small to medium size rocks removed from the top layer of soil (and there is quite a bit of rock.). My question mainly is I have about 1.2 acres to do and just wondering how long that will take? I know there are a lot of variables but I am trying to complete this job between work and days when it rains. Just wondering if will take 1/2 a day, a full day, two days? I know I need to wait for the soil to be fairly dry. The layout of the property is gentle rolling. Very little steep grade. Thanks in advance for any posts!-image-jpg-image-jpg

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L4400

Default Re: Prepping a new yours with a Rockhound Rake

Whether you choose a Rockhound Rake or a Harley Rake; etc, try to rent one first and get the job done at one time. Those specific implements can be quite costly. BTW, Welcome aboard. Best wishes.
    The PUPIL who does not surpass his Master, fails his Master.

Platinum Member

Default Re: Prepping a new yours with a Rockhound Rake

Quote Originally Posted by creekbend View Post
    Whether you choose a Rockhound Rake or a Harley Rake; etc, try to rent one first and get the job done at one time. Those specific implements can be quite costly. BTW, Welcome aboard. Best wishes.
    The wrong rock caught up in a rockhound can lead to a $5k repair.. I've been there and done that. It's a great tool for prep work but it will sweep up dirt as well as rock. It will get really small rocks (3/4") so that's pretty amazing. It's heavy, though, especially when full of rock or dirt but I smoothed out, cleaned, and raked a yard with one and the results were absolutely amazing. It will also dethatch and pull up old grass and anything else that's loose. Hit a stump wrong and see above about repair $$$$. Not exactly the heaviest duty rake bars but the overall unit is built tough. Maybe Rockhound has updated the tooth bar, sprocket, and chain design but if they haven't be careful.
    Brush Chipping and Tree Mulching Texas Style!