Stump removal question

/ Stump removal question #1  

05rammer

Bronze Member
Is there a herbicide or something that can be put on a stump to get it to rot up faster?

/ Stump removal question #2  
Most garden centers sell stump remover or stump rot. You drill a bunch of holes in the stump and apply. I've never tried it, just see it on the shelf.

/ Stump removal question #3  
In short, no. Stump grinder or excavator. With patience and effort they can usually be burned, however it's rare that someone puts forth the time and effort.

Going on 4k hours of stump grinding experience and owning an ex since Feb.

/ Stump removal question #4  
My local Ag Extension agent told me pure nitrogen - Ammonia Nitrate - will rot the wood down fast. I've never tried it but it should be cheap enough to try.

Otherwise, my FTX140 with the stump grinder attachment is the fastest and cheapest method that I've ever used.

/ Stump removal question #5  
Used the following stump removal method (pics below). It's not mine, seen it somewhere, probably in TBN.
The stumps are wet but not rotted off. Method works great, I have removed 27 stumps within 1 day.

Kelmas 2.jpgKelmas 3.jpgKelmas 4.jpgKelmas 5.jpgKelmas 6.jpg

/ Stump removal question #6  
If you have the time... drill down into it with a large bit, 1" diameter or so / deeper is better than shollow, and fill the holes with fertilizer....then cover the top with yard dirt. The dirt keeps the fertilizer in the holes plus supplies the starter fungi to rot the stump. I used to do this, now I am a backhoe guy...... :)

/ Stump removal question #7  
I've tried many ways to remove stumps and the most effective way for me was to go rent a stump grinder and go to it. I did 12 stumps in one hour and grinder them 8" below grade. For $50 a day it was the best deal of the summer for me.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    642.2 KB · Views: 376
   / Stump removal question #8  
I think there is a chemical called Tordon by Dow

/ Stump removal question #9  
I'm sure all the methods you fellows have mentioned are really effective. But my case was of a very small span. Just 27 stumps in an area of 0.12 ac. That forest clearing was dedicated just for walking before. From now it'll be used for driving too. Before I was mulching it with a flail mower, from now I'll use a lawn mower. The task was to remove obstacles so next day I'd be able to mow a grass. Not waiting to rot the stumps away, not trenching the soil to remove the stump roots, not wasting time and extra fuel $ (~ $40) to get to the town to rent a grinder, etc.

But I admire your guys desire to mechanize any kind of job you're in! :thumbsup::) Here we sometimes say: "How would you solve an issue if you'd be an American?" It means - try to work with your head smarter than manually. And don't forget to employ machines :laughing:.

/ Stump removal question #10  
This Utah State University Extension office video shows how to kill stumps with a concentrated mixture of the herbicide glyphosate, a surfactant, and ammonium sulfate fertilizer brushed around the cambium of the stump. First 3 minutes are about tree felling and removing the top of the stump with a chainsaw, the rest is killing the stump.