Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Member

Default Stump removal question

Is there a herbicide or something that can be put on a stump to get it to rot up faster?

Tractor
    (2) 2014 CAT 299DXHP / FECON

Default Re: Stump removal question

Most garden centers sell stump remover or stump rot. You drill a bunch of holes in the stump and apply. I've never tried it, just see it on the shelf.
    No matter what anyone tells you, old fencing, cable, and farm implements that are in the middle of the woods are not your friends!

Colby
    S & P Land Services

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Gehl AL340

In short, no. Stump grinder or excavator. With patience and effort they can usually be burned, however it's rare that someone puts forth the time and effort.

Going on 4k hours of stump grinding experience and owning an ex since Feb.

My local Ag Extension agent told me pure nitrogen - Ammonia Nitrate - will rot the wood down fast. I've never tried it but it should be cheap enough to try.

Otherwise, my FTX140 with the stump grinder attachment is the fastest and cheapest method that I've ever used.

Tractor
    Present: 2003 Kubota M9000 DTF. Sold: 1985 Kubota L2202

Used the following stump removal method (pics below). It's not mine, seen it somewhere, probably in TBN.
    The stumps are wet but not rotted off. Method works great, I have removed 27 stumps within 1 day.

-kelmas-2-jpg-kelmas-3-jpg-kelmas-4-jpg-kelmas-5-jpg-kelmas-6-jpg

Tractor
    Mahindra 5035, JD 2240, 420

If you have the time... drill down into it with a large bit, 1" diameter or so / deeper is better than shollow, and fill the holes with fertilizer....then cover the top with yard dirt. The dirt keeps the fertilizer in the holes plus supplies the starter fungi to rot the stump. I used to do this, now I am a backhoe guy......
    48" CID QA forks, 6' EverythingAttachments Land Plane, 78" JRW rear blower, homemade 1 ton rear weight, 6' Ford rear blade, homemade boom, big homemade 3pt box/carrier, 8" wood chipper

Tractor
    Big & Small one :)

I've tried many ways to remove stumps and the most effective way for me was to go rent a stump grinder and go to it. I did 12 stumps in one hour and grinder them 8" below grade. For $50 a day it was the best deal of the summer for me.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-jpg  
    ...Excellence is not a skill. It is an attitude...

Visit us on the web @ www.specialtyrepairs.ca

YouTube Video's: http://www.youtube.com/user/7863348?feature=guide

2011 Kubota 5740/854 FEL/L2674 Blower/Artic Angle blade with 3rd function set up,Rain Tracker Wiper system, custom built vertical exhaust,Grammer Air Ride Seat and other custom stuff
    2013 Kubota BX25D with many mods
    Kubota ZTR ZG 222 Z
    Custom Toyota Fork Lift

Silver Member
    Tractor
    L4600 Hst

I think there is a chemical called Tordon by Dow

Tractor
    Present: 2003 Kubota M9000 DTF. Sold: 1985 Kubota L2202

I'm sure all the methods you fellows have mentioned are really effective. But my case was of a very small span. Just 27 stumps in an area of 0.12 ac. That forest clearing was dedicated just for walking before. From now it'll be used for driving too. Before I was mulching it with a flail mower, from now I'll use a lawn mower. The task was to remove obstacles so next day I'd be able to mow a grass. Not waiting to rot the stumps away, not trenching the soil to remove the stump roots, not wasting time and extra fuel $ (~ $40) to get to the town to rent a grinder, etc.

But I admire your guys desire to mechanize any kind of job you're in! Here we sometimes say: "How would you solve an issue if you'd be an American?" It means - try to work with your head smarter than manually. And don't forget to employ machines .

Tractor
    which one?

This Utah State University Extension office video shows how to kill stumps with a concentrated mixture of the herbicide glyphosate, a surfactant, and ammonium sulfate fertilizer brushed around the cambium of the stump. First 3 minutes are about tree felling and removing the top of the stump with a chainsaw, the rest is killing the stump.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast