Who uses torque wrench for mounting mulcher teeth?

/ Who uses torque wrench for mounting mulcher teeth? #1  

Timark80

Bronze Member
Tractor
78' Ford 2600 - 09' Bobcat T320 l
I plan on renting a torque wrench. I've heard some folks just tighten as much as possible using body weight with a 3/4 rachet wrench.

/ Who uses torque wrench for mounting mulcher teeth? #2  
I do not use a torque wrench on the mulcher but I religiously do it on my chipper. The mulcher teeth were a bit much for the torque wrench. After replacing, I use my 3/4 inch impact wrench. I'm always careful not to overtighten (stretch) the bolts or reuse them too many times.

/ Who uses torque wrench for mounting mulcher teeth? #3  
I've heard some folks just tighten as much as possible using body weight with a 3/4 rachet wrench.

That would be the 'grunt' system.

One grunt = 50 to 100 #
Two grunt = 100 to 150 #
Three grunt = 150 to 200 #

I would think this system would be just fine for your ap.

Save the torque wrench for rod caps, head bolts and such.

/ Who uses torque wrench for mounting mulcher teeth?
Grunt system has been used for several years here too. Just wanted to check in on other opinions.
Thanks!

/ Who uses torque wrench for mounting mulcher teeth? #5  
If the torque spec is less than 150 just go to Harbor Freight and get a cheepo one on sale and use the 20% off coupon
1/2" Torque Wrench

I think I have seen them on sale for less than this. I have one that is 15 years old and tested it against my buddies freshly calibrated Snap On and it was within 2 or 3 ftlbs. Fine for tires and stuff. They also have a3/4 one that is considerably more expensive. Like $70

/ Who uses torque wrench for mounting mulcher teeth? #6  
How big of fasteners are these ?

Allen screws about 4" long with 1/2" hex head. Will be using 3/4" impact for removal then ratchet wrench for installing.

/ Who uses torque wrench for mounting mulcher teeth? #8  
Impact off and on, a half inch should do fine.

/ Who uses torque wrench for mounting mulcher teeth? #9  
1/2 inch ratchet with a 2ft cheater bar. The ratchet will break before the bolts. If we're at the shop we use the 3/4" impact.

The new teeth install went smooth. WOW what a difference coming from bobcat carbide to the new quadco chipper teeth! I know you have to re-sharpen every day but it cuts so much faster. I also noticed the head was running smoother with less vibration.