Need Advice on 6,000 Acres and 150 Miles of Piles to clear

/ Need Advice on 6,000 Acres and 150 Miles of Piles to clear #1  

ricnic

Tractor
JD 83xx, 78xx, 54xx, CAT 308, 314, 315, 320 CAT D5, D6
Hello everybody, new to this forum. I need some expert opinion on a clearing job.

I am working at a plantation in Central America and we are clearing some land to make room for plants. The land used to be mostly used for cattle, so today it is a mix of 1. grassland with very little trees, 2. land with overgrown shrub with some trees about 4-5inch diameter and 3. some very few areas with denser shrub with trees ranging from 3 - 20 inch in diameter.

So far we have been using using bulldozers to bring down trees complete with the stumps and pile them with the shrub into neat linear piles. This is done in specific areas as to not interfere with the lines where the plants will be planted.

Given local regulation, we are not allowed to burn the piles after clearing the area so we have as of today some 150 miles of piles, which are becoming a problem as the larger ones are interfering with the lines where we are supposed to plant. Additionally they have the potential of becoming hosts to plagues.

As of today we have around 150 miles of piles and still have 6,000 Acres (mixed state as previously described) to clear. We are looking into acquiring a mulcher such as the Fecon 148 to eat into the piles and to improve the clearing logistics (we would no longer need to use the dozers to bring down the trees or organize them into piles). Any advice on the mulcher? Is there another way of doing this that is more efficient (cheaper)? How many meters could a mulcher go through in one hour? We also have some cat320s that could be fitted with mulching heads, but that seems less efficient than a Fecon 148 to me.

Will be posting some pictures later today to get a better idea. Thanks for any advice.

/ Need Advice on 6,000 Acres and 150 Miles of Piles to clear #2  
Welcome! Good first question and description. The scope of your project is far beyond what almost every TBN member attempts. However there might be someone who has this kind of expertise who can provide advice.
I have been to Nicaragua, lived 2 years in Honduras. A project of this size certainly poses unique legal and management challenges.

/ Need Advice on 6,000 Acres and 150 Miles of Piles to clear
Here are some photos of the piles we are dealing with.

DSC01641.jpgDSC01579.jpgDSC01543.jpg

/ Need Advice on 6,000 Acres and 150 Miles of Piles to clear
Thank you texasjohn, I am sure there are more than a few mulching experts here. What where you doing down here?

/ Need Advice on 6,000 Acres and 150 Miles of Piles to clear #5  
I'd look into a tub grinder, roll back or off road dump truck and a track hoe if it were my job

Brett

/ Need Advice on 6,000 Acres and 150 Miles of Piles to clear #6  
I would place lightning rods from one end of that 150 mile pile to the other. Hopefully a good lightning storm would ignite the piles and save you a ton of money.

/ Need Advice on 6,000 Acres and 150 Miles of Piles to clear #7  
rustyshakelford said:
I'd look into a tub grinder, roll back or off road dump truck and a track hoe if it were my job

Brett

Agree with tub grinder, although they maybe expensive or hard to find down there.

Other option/question; would you be able to burn in a pit with a forced air curtain burner?

/ Need Advice on 6,000 Acres and 150 Miles of Piles to clear #8  
I figured about 4.3 million cubic yards of material. That's doing 150 miles x 15'wide and 10' high. That's a staggering amount of material. Without being able to burn I do not see a way to economically dispose of it. Tub grinders are expensive but seems to me the best way to do it.

Brett

/ Need Advice on 6,000 Acres and 150 Miles of Piles to clear #9  
Depending on local electrical options, the chips could be sold for energy production.

Brett