Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ASV 4810

Default clearing land

I have an unused half section bush on my ranch i want to clear and use for grazing.
    I wonder what the best and cheapest aproach would be to remove the bush.
    The growth varies from heavy timber(mostly white and black and balsam poplar up to 40" in dia) to willow and shrub with thickets of spruce in places.
    There is a paper mill in the area i could sell the timber to but these contractors usually leave a big mess with foot high stumps and huge piles of bark and chips and walk over anything to small to harvest. By the time the roots are rotted enough to rip them up 3-5 years down the road the regrowth is 8' high and thicker than hairs on a dog
    Buy a D7 or D8 cat and cut and pile and burn?
    buy an excavator with a thumb and remove the trees with the roots, pile and burn?
    Have it custom done?

What do you think?
    3 cockshutt 1855,1 cockshutt 1800.
    Belarus 800 and 925 .AC 940 whl ldr.Waldon 500 whl ldr.
    ASV 4810 tracksteer.
    4 GMC 2500 6.5/6.2 diesel trucks

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Re: clearing land

Bison...I've had land cleared a few times over the years and you are right ...they leave the stumps about a foot high , if that, and all the tops and branches...what a mess....but the biggest problem is the stumps...I have often wondered why a land owner could not buy a small Dozier or track loader and make a deal with a timber company to let you or your hired hand push each tree over and they would branch it and cut off the stump...they would get more of the fat part of each tree and you would have an easy time pushing the stumps and tops into a burn pile....If I do it again...I will try and sell that idea to the timber fellas...what do you think ?
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    Bison...I've had land cleared a few times over the years and you are right ...they leave the stumps about a foot high , if that, and all the tops and branches...what a mess....but the biggest problem is the stumps...I have often wondered why a land owner could not buy a small Dozier or track loader and make a deal with a timber company to let you or your hired hand push each tree over and they would branch it and cut off the stump...they would get more of the fat part of each tree and you would have an easy time pushing the stumps and tops into a burn pile....If I do it again...I will try and sell that idea to the timber fellas...what do you think ?
    You probably could do that yourself (or hire it) then just have a bunch of logs laying around for the logging company to pick up... maybe they would even give you more for it?

Gold Member

I have a 12,000 lb ram hydraulic wench I have been thinking of mounting on the 3pt hitch with spades that will dig into the soil to pull out trees

with a couple blocks that 12000 could be multiplied.

For the trees I have been able to pull out I use a chain fed through a piece of pipe around the tree and hooked to the end closest to the tractor to form a noose.

Gold Member

for grazing the stumps you can't pull out I'd leave then at least 5' high

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Deere 5055E

Have it logged. Hire a d9 with a shear come thru and plow all the stumps out. Buy a Dozer to pile and burn the stumps and slash. If you have a half section that's a bunch of acres. Depending on contractor you might be able to get a fair price to shear it all. Sell Dozer when done or keep it

Brett

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ASV 4810

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    These timber fellas come in with a feller buncher(s) to cut them down and run them trees trough a de-limber faster than you can swing a stick at it,..they are not about to wait for some slowpoke with a cat to push each tree over...time is money!.
    Besides, pushing a 40" dia 120+ feet tall tree over takes at least a D8 if not larger.
    I had a guy plow me a fenceline with a D7, these big trees just laughed at him, i had to knock them down with the chain saw.
    ASV 4810 tracksteer.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ASV 4810

Quote Originally Posted by rustyshakelford View Post
    Have it logged. Hire a d9 with a shear come thru and plow all the stumps out. Buy a Dozer to pile and burn the stumps and slash. If you have a half section that's a bunch of acres. Depending on contractor you might be able to get a fair price to shear it all. Sell Dozer when done or keep it

Brett
    been thinking about that,..problem is finding someone with a D9 and experience in land clearing and decent pricing,..everybody works for the oil companies in my parts and are used to the big dollars
    ASV 4810 tracksteer.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

I have wondered about opening up land, also.

Maybe using a grapple to move most of the slash into piles to burn. Then a tractor rear mounted stump grinder on the stumps. Some of these stump grinders go down a foot into the ground. That would be deep enough to use a disk to smooth the dirt out and bush hog. The stumps left in the ground would rot away in maybe 4 years more or less depending on size.
    Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deere 1070

Call me ignorant, but what is a "half section"? Is that a technical measurement? Otherwise how much land are we talking?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast