Husqvarna or Stihl

/ Husqvarna or Stihl #1  

Rayster

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3200 w/LA524
Hopefully this is in the right area, as that I consider a chainsaw land clearing equipment. :rolleyes:

I have three Stihl products 192T, Pole Pruner, & HS45 (two saws and a hedge trimmer). I also have a Husqvarna 455 Rancher. I would like to have a 16" medium saw to go with the others. But I am torn on what brand. I am told that the Husky has one ring on their piston so they break in faster. The Stihl has two rings on the piston. My hedge trimmer can be a chore to start if it has been sitting any length of time. I have no complaints on the Stihl saws. That Husky has been a true performer for me.

I was comparing the Husky 445 and the Stihl 250C, the Stihl is about $60 more but has the quick adjust blade. I know it's like the old Ford and Chevy battle. I cut about 3 cords of wood for winter. Then it's also the usual landscaping use. I am looking to spend $300-$370.

So I am looking for some input on the current models and your thoughts on the subject...

Last edited:
   / Husqvarna or Stihl #2  
When in doubt, buy what the pros use. Most tree guys around here, as well as the fire dept, use Stihl exclusively. BUT, I bought a Husky because I got $100 off.

/ Husqvarna or Stihl #3  
You can't go wrong with a Stihl. I used to cut professionally (although more years ago than I care to admit) and even back then, The Stihls on the jobsite outnumbered the Huskys, 10 to 1. I currently live on 20 heavily wooded acres of oak, maple and hickory, and use one of my 3 Stihl saws (046, MS261, and MS211 CB-E) almost on a daily basis. If I'm not cutting firewood, I'm clearing deadfall or removing some trees to get a bit more sunlight in for the wife. For about $340, you can get the MS250 CB-E, which has the added feature of easystart. I have it on my MS 211 which I use for limbing and smaller stuff, and it is amazing. My wife, who is fairly small, can start the saw by herself without any problems. Stihl was running a promotion just a short while ago where you got a free carrying case when you purchased a saw, but I'm not sure if that's still on or not. They also will extend your warranty by 1 year if you buy their synthetic 2stroke oil at the same time as the saw. Just my opinion, but I hope it helps.

/ Husqvarna or Stihl #4  
I like stihl because the dealers are everywhere in my area. I don't even know where to buy a pro grade husky. I wpuld not necessarily rule out husky though if they were around.

/ Husqvarna or Stihl #5  
It's funny b/c when I lived in PA all there was were Stihls, but up here in VT every logger (and there are LOTS) use Husky. I would not hesitate to buy whatever is local, they are both good saws.

/ Husqvarna or Stihl #6  
Tough call as we have had good service out of both brands, I really like the tools free chain adjustment though.

/ Husqvarna or Stihl #7  
Here they use Echo but 300$ is going to be hard to find.

/ Husqvarna or Stihl #8  
My TSC Husky 455 rancher was a really good saw ... until it got crushed by a poplar tree I didn't handle correctly. :ashamed: Good power, easy starting. It still runs but the plastic case, safety brake and handle, and bar are toast.

My Stihl 019T trim saw still runs well but the oil pump quit working after 9-10 years of regular use. That's an expensive, complete tear down repair. I replaced it with a new Stihl trim saw and I'm not happy with the amount of bar oil it is moving (less than 1/2 tank per tank of fuel). It's never had anything but Stihl bar&chain oil in it.

I think both are good brands that would do the job for you. The Husky professional models are pretty expensive, probably more than you want to spend.

/ Husqvarna or Stihl #9  
See if you have any dolmar dealers in your area.

A PS420 or PS421. They spec nearly identical to the 445 and 250. And are in the 300-350 range. They are a sweet running saw.

/ Husqvarna or Stihl #10  
See if you have any dolmar dealers in your area.

A PS420 or PS421. They spec nearly identical to the 445 and 250. And are in the 300-350 range. They are a sweet running saw.