8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher

/ 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #11  
   / 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher
   / 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #13  
Sir that is ridiculously awesome! Bravo

Hi Coot,

Few years ago I was contemplating the same situation.
Most manufactures of brushing heads will claim that small machines (under 10 ton) will operate even their smaller
attachments, scale down the attachmentand you get dissapointing production. Bottom line is that smaller machines dont have the flow required
to run flow hungry attachments. Kubota 080 claims 18 gph, probably the highest in the field but everything suffers, flow diverter dosent work well either, you are constantly dancing on the switch so you can articulate then cut, repeat...

The solution I resorted to was to build an aux power pack based on a deutz 55 hp diesel, matched variable displacement pump to the cutter motor. Run it at 1800 rpm (max 2800 32 gpm) all day producing 22gpm at 4500psi, no extra wear and tear on the carrier hyd system.
4 bolts hold it on and an umbillical providing fuel, 12v from the carrier. Cab mounted pannel/murphy switch

One issue: smaller machines get a little squirrely on steeps with 1000+ lb attachments,
Im running a 1000lb AFE on a komatsu 75, similar Fecon is heavier (1200lb?)
It will cut circles around a 315 all day though!

View attachment 347255View attachment 347256

You would think more people would have this kind of information but I guess not?

Some of the places I go into a powerpack would not allow me access due too tail swing unless I mounted it high which would limit my slope work due too weight dist. It would make my little Kx161 a beast though.

/ 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #15  
The Kubota KX080 sends approx 24 gpm to the head while leaving adequate flow for stick, swing, and boom functions. 24 gpm is the sweet spot for the variable displacement motor shift point in the CEM36. So in larger diameter material it will shift to its larger displacement setting and provide more torque to power through some of the bigger material while in smaller material it keeps a faster rotor speed.

The Kubota KX080 sends approx 24 gpm to the head while leaving adequate flow for stick, swing, and boom functions. 24 gpm is the sweet spot for the variable displacement motor shift point in the CEM36. So in larger diameter material it will shift to its larger displacement setting and provide more torque to power through some of the bigger material while in smaller material it keeps a faster rotor speed.

At what pressure? What size motor is on the Mulcher for the KX080. My goal is too step up machine size and use the Torrent till I can upgrade too a little bigger head and then put the Torrent back on the KX161. Thanks for the info!

Got some good info on the Cat 308 machines. Free flow on them is close too 40 gpm and they are rated at 34 gpm by cat. This was a 2012 model.

/ 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #18  
Mulching consultant,

I live on the west coast, my decision to go with AFE was based on an opportunity to demo a cutter on a Cat 315 during a fuel break contract Jon (moffett) had with the Forest service. Great for wholesale clearing to forestry spec's. Jon was also very supportive and helpful.

Happy with the unit, fast, simple, cheap to run, and durable.
Only issue I've had is with discharge containment while working roadside.

I'd like to demo/purchase a CEM 36, concerned about weight, what's it weigh?
Hi - low pressure/gpm requirements?
Any operating around central California?

To all,

Also, sorry about misinformation on flow capacities on kubota, been awhile since I researched it.
I DO know that without a flow diverter on a 315, you will be dissaopinted! Ran a Deere 200 with a fecon
48" (?) same issue.
I would be really leery about basing your decision on mfg reported aux flow figures, Not saying they're misrepresenting, just sayin....
These machines are engineered to operate themselves. Why would they add the expense of an oversized pump when 99% of their target market will have no need for it?

High flow....
I demo'ed a fecon equipped "hi flow" skid steer (Deere), now that thing kicked ***! However, due to visibility,
(or lack thereof) almost drove it off a cliff while working head high material, beat some boulders up pretty good too.

Not bagging on skid steer type machines, they just don't work well in this type of terrain. Would be cool to see a "hi flow" option on an excavator...

Just my 2c

Last edited:
Mulching consultant,

I live on the west coast, my decision to go with AFE was based on an opportunity to demo a cutter on a Cat 315 during a fuel break contract Jon (moffett) had with the Forest service. Great for wholesale clearing to forestry spec's. Jon was also very supportive and helpful.

Happy with the unit, fast, simple, cheap to run, and durable.
Only issue I've had is with discharge containment while working roadside.

I'd like to demo/purchase a CEM 36, concerned about weight, what's it weigh?
Hi - low pressure/gpm requirements?
Any operating around central California?

To all,

Also, sorry about misinformation on flow capacities on kubota, been awhile since I researched it.
I DO know that without a flow diverter on a 315, you will be dissaopinted! Ran a Deere 200 with a fecon
48" (?) same issue.
I would be really leery about basing your decision on mfg reported aux flow figures, Not saying they're misrepresenting, just sayin....
These machines are engineered to operate themselves. Why would they add the expense of an oversized pump when 99% of their target market will have no need for it?

High flow....
I demo'ed a fecon equipped "hi flow" skid steer (Deere), now that thing kicked ***! However, due to visibility,
(or lack thereof) almost drove it off a cliff while working head high material, beat some boulders up pretty good too.

Not bagging on skid steer type machines, they just don't work well in this type of terrain. Would be cool to see a "hi flow" option on an excavator...

Just my 2c

I agree on manufacturers specs. I actually talked too the owner of the 308 and he personally watched the dealer flow it and set the pressure on the excavator. He can do 12 inch material with good production.

Your AFE head will always be more productive than a mulcher in the same class and sure the mulcher will leave a smaller chip on the tree when cutting but once stuff is on the ground the mulching heads will lleave large stuff too unless you really slow down and process the material.

/ 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #20  
Coot,

Re chip size: thanks for the info , good to know. I can rework an area an get an acceptable result if needed
with the disc.
Curious how a drum style cutter head would work out here, really thick, wiry, vegetation.