8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher

/ 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #1  

Cooter Brown

Bronze Member
Anyone have any experience with these size machines and there actual flow and performnace compared too others in that class. I remember a few years back talking to the Denis Cimaf guys and they took a Tak TB175 and put some type of high flow kit on it and where real impressed.

/ 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #2  
Hi Coot,

Few years ago I was contemplating the same situation.
Most manufactures of brushing heads will claim that small machines (under 10 ton) will operate even their smaller
attachments, scale down the attachmentand you get dissapointing production. Bottom line is that smaller machines dont have the flow required
to run flow hungry attachments. Kubota 080 claims 18 gph, probably the highest in the field but everything suffers, flow diverter dosent work well either, you are constantly dancing on the switch so you can articulate then cut, repeat...

The solution I resorted to was to build an aux power pack based on a deutz 55 hp diesel, matched variable displacement pump to the cutter motor. Run it at 1800 rpm (max 2800 32 gpm) all day producing 22gpm at 4500psi, no extra wear and tear on the carrier hyd system.
4 bolts hold it on and an umbillical providing fuel, 12v from the carrier. Cab mounted pannel/murphy switch

One issue: smaller machines get a little squirrely on steeps with 1000+ lb attachments,
Im running a 1000lb AFE on a komatsu 75, similar Fecon is heavier (1200lb?)
It will cut circles around a 315 all day though!

power unit off.JPGmotor mount view done.JPG

Attachments

• mulcher 2.jpg
    mulcher 2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 360
  • power pack 002.JPG
    power pack 002.JPG
    130.8 KB · Views: 250
  • afe mulcher.JPG
    afe mulcher.JPG
    160.8 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:
   / 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher
I have a mulcher on my KX161 and it is almost enough for what I am doing. It is rated at 19 gpm. The Kx080 is rated at about 27 gpm. Power pak would be an option. How much does the one you built weigh?

/ 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #4  
Hi Coot,
The solution I resorted to was to build an aux power pack based on a deutz 55 hp diesel, matched variable displacement pump to the cutter motor. Run it at 1800 rpm (max 2800 32 gpm) all day producing 22gpm at 4500psi, no extra wear and tear on the carrier hyd system.
4 bolts hold it on and an umbillical providing fuel, 12v from the carrier. Cab mounted pannel/murphy switch

I am impressed. Nice work.

/ 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #5  
Guessing about 500 lbs, a nice compliment to counter the weight on the end of the boom

Guessing about 500 lbs, a nice compliment to counter the weight on the end of the boom

I figured it would be more weight. What size motor is on the AFE head?

/ 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #7  
Re motor size,
Thinking around 3.75 cu. in. I'd need to look it up to be sure.
Attachment is AFE 34ex

Re motor size,
Thinking around 3.75 cu. in. I'd need to look it up to be sure.
Attachment is AFE 34ex

Looks like a good setup. If I could do a powerpack in the 40 hp range it would be plenty for what I do. My Kubota only makes about 19 hyd hp at the aux circuit.

/ 8 ton excavator auxilary flow and performance with a mulcher #9  
Cooter,

What are you running on your kubota?

Deutz F3L 1011 29 - 40 HP depending on how its set up.
Count on 2/3 of engine BHP = hyd hp. Convert to gph@(?)psi. (google - hyd formulas) More is always better!

Few more shots of power unit and remote panel,

BSA 012.jpgBSA 013.jpgBSA 016.jpg