Mulcher vs flail mower vs rotary mower for compact excavator?

/ Mulcher vs flail mower vs rotary mower for compact excavator? #1  

jca57jd

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 HSTC 2006 Bobcat T190 (60" CID) Cat 303.5 Bobcat e55 (50" blue diamond mower)
I've been wanting to get into the mulching business for a while now! I've seen several people go down trying to be successful in this industry around me because people can get loaders and dozers to come in cheaper than the mulching rate. Because of this I bought me a bigger excavator last year (bobcat e55 20 gpm aux). I was interested in a high flow ctl with a mulcher but I went with the excavator because I was pushing my cat 303.5 to its limits all the time and I knew that I would have work for the new excavator. I do a good bit of bushhogging and mowing in my services. I own a tractor and 6' bushog, and bobcat t190 low flow and CID extreme brush cutter. I usually get between 2-3 20 acre tracks of 5 year old cut overs to clear each year and I get by with my t190 and the CID mower. I run into steep banks some and can't mow them, which really doesn't matter that much because they don't have to be mowed but I'd like to get more money for doing them aswell. These brings me to my point. I'm wanting to buy a some sort of mower for my excavator and I'm willing to buy a mulcher for it like a torrent but I'm having trouble deciding if dollar for dollar it is worth the extra money over a flail like the USA mower and rockhound? Same situation on weather to buy the flail over a normal rotary cutter? I know that the rotary can do nearly all the steep banks that I run into, but if the flail mower or the mulcher is efficient enough to get me more work then I'll spend the extra. How would y'all classify the efficiency of these three classes of mowers vs there same design on a skid loader (torrent mulcher on excavator vs mulcher on high flow skid steer)?
Sorry for dragging it out long, I just wanted to try to give y'all an idea of the situation I'm in! Many thanks to any advice!!

/ Mulcher vs flail mower vs rotary mower for compact excavator? #2  
I will give my opinion of the 3 and the differences.

Rotary cutter is very fast but will not leave a a well processed finished product.

Flail mowere are great for grass vines and small trees( thing 1 to 2 inch), slower than rotary but leave a beeter finished product, will not be effective mulching trees.

Mulcher. Will leave the best finished product, marginal on grass, good on underbrush, the best choice for trees.

Limited to 20 gpm it will never be a barn burning in the mulching department. 2 too 4 inch stuff will be fast. 5 too 6 inch stuff will be slower but doable.

I have a couple 100 hours on my Torrent with a Kx161 and I chose it over the other 2 choices and have never looked back.