Fecon FTX90 vs skid steer mulcher

/ Fecon FTX90 vs skid steer mulcher #1  

crossroadsd

Tractor
John Deere, MF, Deutz, Case
I have been doing some research on purchasing a used mulcher. I have 150 acres of land that I am looking to clear. I am thinking it may be cheaper to buy a used mulcher than renting.

I have been researching Fecon FTX90 and Rayco 87 machines. From what I have read I think these are basically the same machine. Also from what I read it would seem that a dedicated mulcher will outperform a skid steer mulcher.

I have called and talked to two different dealers and both tried to tell me that the skid steer /ctl mulcher they had would outperform the dedicated mulcher. Is this just the salesmen talking?

The two machines they tried to push on me were:

TAKEUCHI TL 150 MTL SKID STEER FECON BH74SS BULLHOG

and a

Posi Track RC 100.

I can understand that a skid steer may offer more versatility but just looking at mulching I would think that the dedicated mulcher would be better. I have read that the Fecon 90 will accept most skid steer attachments. Has anybody ever used one for anything other than mulching?

Thank You
Ronnie

/ Fecon FTX90 vs skid steer mulcher #2  
It's my opinion that they are just trying to sell you what they have in stock. You can bet that if they had an FTX-90 or a C-87 in stock, they would be telling you that they were the greatest things since sliced bread.

As far as which will "out perform" the other... It all depends on the terrain, and the operator.
This is my experience; When I bought my FTX-90 it was pretty tired, the engine was well worn as well as the hydraulic pumps. At the time I had a Terex PT-100G Forestry. On a day to day basis the new Terex would out perform the worn out Fecon. Over a 5 month comparison (5 months is how long I owned the Terex) the worn out Fecon out performed the Terex simply because it kept running day in, and day out. If you are in steep, or rough terrain the Fecon wins hands down (wearing single grouser tracks).
I have used my FTX-90 to load logs with a root grapple, and move and load dirt with a bucket. But you will tear up the ground with single grouser tracks.
I now have a Bobcat T320, and it's a good "back up" machine to the 90. I'm scrambling right now to finish the re-design on my 90 before my busy season starts, because it is my "go to machine", and with the new engine and pump will do way more than the Bobcat.

If you go with an FTX-90 or C-87 make sure it doesn't still have the Deutz engine still. Or make sure that you get it cheap enough to put a new engine in it. I haven't dealt directly with Rayco, but Fecon has been great to deal with, helpful in every way. When I owned the new Terex, I couldn't get in touch with any rep's for the company. My Fecon rep contacts me every once in a while to see how things are going, and if I need anything, and I haven't even bought a new machine from them...yet.

That's my experience, and my two cents.

/ Fecon FTX90 vs skid steer mulcher #3  
Ronnie:
I'm the SE Region Manager for Fecon, I would be happy to help you sort out your mulching needs, let me know how I can help out.
Best Regards,
Frank Plotts
513-429-9383
Fplotts@fecon.com

/ Fecon FTX90 vs skid steer mulcher #4  
If you go with an FTX-90 or C-87 make sure it doesn't still have the Deutz engine still. Or make sure that you get it cheap enough to put a new engine in it. I haven't dealt directly with Rayco, but Fecon has been great to deal with, helpful in every way. When I owned the new Terex, I couldn't get in touch with any rep's for the company. My Fecon rep contacts me every once in a while to see how things are going, and if I need anything, and I haven't even bought a new machine from them...yet..

That's good customer service and why I may be switching to Fecon real soon. They contacted me quickly when I needed info and spent some time talking to me. To be fair, I did ask a few questions about the HDT rotor and never got a response after emailing from their website. :)

/ Fecon FTX90 vs skid steer mulcher #5  
I don't get back around here much but GET THE REAL MULCHER!!! What year is the Tak? For quite a while they did not even come with a high flow pump and it was an aftermarket add on. If they still say the other machines are better than the Fecon/Rayco ask them if the will give you a six month warranty on the tracks. That should shut them up for good. Rubber tracks are eaten alive in the woods! I have some lovely pics of 600 hour tracks but they are on the computer or I would post them up. Go back and search my rants about purpose built.

Best plan is to buy the mulcher clear the land sell it and then buy the Tak. Then you have clear land and a decent machine.

/ Fecon FTX90 vs skid steer mulcher #6  
Hi Ronnie
Im another Fecon guy (retired--and am now selling good used Fecon equipment that has been refurbished by Fecon) I have both a Fecon FTX90L with the Reliable YANMAR engine and a PosiTrack RC100 with a Fecon mulching attachment for sale. I would tend to agree with everything posted as to pros and cons and would be more than happy to discuss both units with you--please give me a call at 513-284-8990
Thanks
Jim Schuermann

/ Fecon FTX90 vs skid steer mulcher #7  
What cbturf said, period. A purpose built land clearing machine is the only way to go if you want to keep it working and not be working on it. Better track systems designed for the stubble, debris and terrain. Hydraulic systems that are designed for the high power output, dangerous environment, excessive heat load and constant pounding. You get what you pay for.

If you want to mow grass and reclear 1-2 year old regrowth, a skid steer is suitable. No matter what you run, the cost of land clearing equipment is NOT cheap to run. It is demanding on the machines and dangerous for the operators. Be prepared for MANY repairs, especially if you have a learning curve to overcome.

/ Fecon FTX90 vs skid steer mulcher #8  
Whatever you settle on, if you get a good reliable brand machine, don't grit your teeth, and do necessary maintenance, and look, listen and smell for problems, you will probably be okay. I've not owned a dedicated machine but I have a dedicated 200 hp industrial wood chipper that has had problems just like my skid steers. The chipper is designed to run day in and day out and has the most reliable motor I can think of, a Cummins, and I've had some down time with it but because it's built well, it is worth repairing.

I think an important aspect to any machine is dealer support for parts and major repairs. Just having a knowledgeable service tech in the area that you can ask questions, helps. I've had good luck mulching with my Bobcats especially the M series. Sure, they have some problems and I'm not always mulching 5 days a week, but I do get week-long jobs and they do very good in between the other tasks.
With the newer 2 speed cutting heads, you can be even more productive with an all-purpose machine than ever before.
I can't speak on the RC 100 personally other than what I've read here and seen in the trade-in line at the dealers. The undercarriage always looks awful on the non-steel imbed tracks but I guess your ground conditions would dictate what type of undercarriage you need. I personally mulch with rubber tires because I'm practically mulching rocks.
One last thing, make sure whatever machine you have is well sealed especially the cab and engine compartment. That can take a couple of days of trial and error to get right. You have to look for places that suck in debris. On my new M series Bobcat, the cab is virtually dust free especially after they redesigned the door seal. The debris kit helps keep material out of the engine compartment but there are a lot of other areas that debris can enter and I had to seal them off with caulk and other materials. I've looked at dedicated machines that came in from the field and they have their problems too so whatever you get, make sure you look for places on a used machine that collect debris and try and figure out where it is getting in.
Good luck

/ Fecon FTX90 vs skid steer mulcher #9  
So, 7 years later do you guys still think a dedicated machine is the way to go or are the new skids like the 299D XHP land management or the ASV RT120F just as good now?