Mulching in Mid Georgia

/ Mulching in Mid Georgia #1  

RDS MidGa

Tractor
Looking to purchase
I just purchased 50 acres in mid Georgia. The land is semi cleared and rolling hills. I am looking at having several small fields with small connecting roads cut into the property. The work would require very little, if any, large tree removal. For the most part, I believe mulching would be the way to go, as the disruption is much less than dozing. Can anyone give me an idea (ball park, of course) of what the per hour cost would be to perform this with a mulcher?
Another question.....eventually (a year or so), I am going to build a home and out building on the property. Should I wait to have the mulching done at the same time as when I have the site work done for the building?
This is my first venture with land greater than a couple of acres. My long term goal is to have a few food plots and couple of deer stands, as well as a couple or three small (3/4 to 2 acre pastures) cut into the property with a very minimal amount of roads cut in. I am looking for any and all advice. I would love to hear from those that have already done as I am getting ready to do, as well as hearing from professional land developers.
I am definitely a novice but I am willing to listen and learn......thanks in advance for any and all comments and advice.

/ Mulching in Mid Georgia #2  
QUOTE=RDS MidGa;3731370]I just purchased 50 acres in mid Georgia. The land is semi cleared and rolling hills. I am looking at having several small fields with small connecting roads cut into the property. The work would require very little, if any, large tree removal. For the most part, I believe mulching would be the way to go, as the disruption is much less than dozing. Can anyone give me an idea (ball park, of course) of what the per hour cost would be to perform this with a mulcher?
Another question.....eventually (a year or so), I am going to build a home and out building on the property. Should I wait to have the mulching done at the same time as when I have the site work done for the building?
This is my first venture with land greater than a couple of acres. My long term goal is to have a few food plots and couple of deer stands, as well as a couple or three small (3/4 to 2 acre pastures) cut into the property with a very minimal amount of roads cut in. I am looking for any and all advice. I would love to hear from those that have already done as I am getting ready to do, as well as hearing from professional land developers.
I am definitely a novice but I am willing to listen and learn......thanks in advance for any and all comments and advice.[/QUOTE]

Where is thye property locate?[

/ Mulching in Mid Georgia #4  
Monroe County

I Live in Butts county. If I can ever help just let me know.

When you do the site work for the house it will take some grading so mulching will cut down on the amount of material but there will still be things pushed up during grading. Not sure how much it will save you. I have a rotary cutter for the skid and a Mulcher for my mini. The rotary cutter may do what you want if the material is not big and it is much cheaper too operate than a mulcher. Have you had a soil study done for the Septic system?

/ Mulching in Mid Georgia #5  
RD, sounds like a good project! My GA place is not so far, Columbia County, a but east o' ye. Same red clay dirt I reckon. Coot, about the septic tank, lines, mine was done way back in 1975, soil scientist from county had me use 1,000 gallon tank, 300 feet of drain lines. Nary a problem in all these years. But, I'd seriously check into those half round plastic dome thingamajigs that they say only needs about half the line length - and NO GRAVEL!! Southern pipe in Thomson has them.

RD, post some pics of ye place.

/ Mulching in Mid Georgia #6  
RD, sounds like a good project! My GA place is not so far, Columbia County, a but east o' ye. Same red clay dirt I reckon. Coot, about the septic tank, lines, mine was done way back in 1975, soil scientist from county had me use 1,000 gallon tank, 300 feet of drain lines. Nary a problem in all these years. But, I'd seriously check into those half round plastic dome thingamajigs that they say only needs about half the line length - and NO GRAVEL!! Southern pipe in Thomson has them.

RD, post some pics of ye place.

My primary buisness is Septic and those chambers you speak of have been good for buisness.LOL They used too allow a 50% reduction but was later changed to 35%. We are also finding that the systems are lasting 50% less time as well. Full length gravel systems are still the way too go if space allows.

/ Mulching in Mid Georgia #7  
Wow coot, thanks for that information! I was thinking those chambers would be the way to go. I've seen them installed and they look about foolproof, if long enough. I mean, wha's to go wrong? Anyway, my local man who installed mine in '75 sure knew wha' he was doing. He even dug three 4x4 pits in the center of each 100' line and filled them with gravel. Well, RD, I reckon ye better follow old Coot's advice on ye septic system.

/ Mulching in Mid Georgia #8  
Wow coot, thanks for that information! I was thinking those chambers would be the way to go. I've seen them installed and they look about foolproof, if long enough. I mean, wha's to go wrong? Anyway, my local man who installed mine in '75 sure knew wha' he was doing. He even dug three 4x4 pits in the center of each 100' line and filled them with gravel. Well, RD, I reckon ye better follow old Coot's advice on ye septic system.

Most of the NSF testing for chambers was done in shallow installitions in real sandy type soil. Here in the peidmont there installation was in deeper depths and with the high clay content of our soil we have seen excessive ampount of silt getting through the side vents and reducing the space for the seffluent in the chambers.

/ Mulching in Mid Georgia #9  
Check with JPV mulching, they are out of Byron or Bonaire. They have excavators and rubber tired mulchers and their prices were very good. Don't have the number with me but they always advertise in the Georgia Outdoor News magazine.