Default 15 acres of mess

Ok guys I have a question for you We recently got 15 acres of jack pine cut that had been damaged by a storm so we got a selective cut done during winter....but now we have a mess and a big one
    We have a kubota L45 and a bx42r chipper we worked 50 hours and cleared about an acre So now I'm thinking of a forestry mulcher I like the ideal of one on a excavator instead of a skid steer because of the versatility of the excavator...now what do i need help me out

Thanks
    Before
    -image-318845128-jpg

After
    -image-1081907388-jpg

Now what could we get to speed up the process and make it nice and keep the jack pine and the nice pine trees

We thinking renting or buying then selling so we can take more our time to do it

Platinum Member

Default Re: 15 acres of mess

Quote Originally Posted by andrehoude123 View Post
    Ok guys I have a question for you We recently got 15 acres of jack pine cut that had been damaged by a storm so we got a selective cut done during winter....but now we have a mess and a big one
    We have a kubota L45 and a bx42r chipper we worked 50 hours and cleared about an acre So now I'm thinking of a forestry mulcher I like the ideal of one on a excavator instead of a skid steer because of the versatility of the excavator...now what do i need help me out

Thanks
    Before
    -image-318845128-jpg

After
    -image-1081907388-jpg

Now what could we get to speed up the process and make it nice and keep the jack pine and the nice pine trees

We thinking renting or buying then selling so we can take more our time to do it
    My initial thoughts for 15 acres of clean up is rent if you can but my first choice would be to hire out. Buying something for a small project.. I don't see you coming out ahead and buying old stuff for mulching is asking for maintenance.
    Brush Chipping and Tree Mulching Texas Style!

We have 300 acres so for now it's that job but we have lots of road maintenance and making roads wider and that stuff but right now the 15 acres is the priority

Platinum Member

That makes a lot more sense for a purchase. An excavator mulcher is a good tool but for 300 acres, I'd like a bigger rubber tired machine. I don't think a lot of off the shelf excavators are set up for running a high production mulcher and the ones that are will be high dollar if they are in good condition. Same could be said price-wise for a rubber tired mulcher but unless it was a really powerful excavator, I think the wheeled machine would be more productive unless your terrain didn't cooperate.

I like the one-size machine fits all and it's certainly possible to find that but over 300 acres, I'd personally want something that moves a little faster from point a to point b than an excavator. Just my .02. I don't own a big excavator but would love to have one.
    Brush Chipping and Tree Mulching Texas Style!

We finally found a guy set up for this work and they charge 135 an hour for a 13 ton shovel with the mulchers on it No one up here have a mulchers on skid steers

Tractor
    ym1700, NH7610S, Ford 8N, 2N, NAA, 660, 850 x2, 541, 950, 941D, 951, 2000, 3000, 4000, 4600, 5000, 740, IH 'C' 'H', CUB, John Deere 'B', allis 'G', case VAC

Quote Originally Posted by yellowdogsvc View Post
    My initial thoughts for 15 acres of clean up is rent if you can but my first choice would be to hire out. Buying something for a small project.. I don't see you coming out ahead and buying old stuff for mulching is asking for maintenance.
    yup.. this is a hire out job to a firm with a large bulldozer, perhaps a track hoe, and a loader with a root rake.
    souNdguy

sent from my NOKIA LUMIA

I want to keep all my good trees and have no root damage and not have erosion problems so I don't want to be doing any raking