Log splitter power requirement?

/ Log splitter power requirement? #1  

sdef

Platinum Member
Tractor
2013 Kioti DK45SE HST
I am clearing my retirement home site and am currently finishing up on the driveway. Next I will tackle the many trees, in excess of 150, mostly hardwood with diameters of 5" - 36", with the bulk in the 8" to 12" range, with quite a few in the 16" range and only a couple in the 36" range. I would like to split this mother load of trees and use in a wood stove.

I have learned to ensure I have sufficient power in any tool I purchase and would rather have more than necessary, rather than not quite enough. I have no idea how much power I need. I would imagine an electric splitter is not a consideration for many reasons.

Most splitters seem to be rated in Tons of force and I have no idea how that translates to real world performance. I do believe I would want one that has a quicker cycle time and probably a stand alone, gasoline powered model versus tying my tractor up with a 3 point model.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

/ Log splitter power requirement? #2  
I got a bush hog splitter not fast but will split almost anything on my L45 Kubota also I never put it on my 3 point hitch I just sit it on 2 big blocks of wood back the tractor up to it and plug in my 2 lines and when I'm done I just unplug and do what ever I need to do I just like the ideal of only having one motor and not an other engine and using a big heavy duty hydro pump that's on the tractor

I dump all my wood in one location split it then disconnect my hoses and stack my wood on racks that I can move 1 face cord at a time with my forks

Dump it in a pile
image-4207986244.jpg

Split it

image-1445700441.jpg

Stack and place where you want it

image-2308784652.jpg

/ Log splitter power requirement? #3  
Lots of ways to go with this one.

Its hard to say you need "X" tonage. So much depends on type of wood being split and wedge design.

I built my own splitter. You dont need 30 ton for most things, but if you run a 4 way or other multi wedge, you might.

Electrics are available. Avoid the cheap, chinese ones. I have one. Its good for kindling but thats it. way too slow. Ramsplitter makes an electric that seems to be well liked. Many of the European manufacturers make high quality electrics too.

If I was buying, and planned on heating with wood, Id look strongly at the Splitfire models. Manufacturers of high quality, custom engineered wood splitters, log splitters and wood chippers. | Split-Fire Sales Inc. Quality Built. High Performance. | Split-Fire - Your Best Choice BEfore I made mine, we used to rent a splitfire 3255. It was VERY fast and super well built. Google them. They are really respected. Id avoid the flywheel types such as the Supersplit. They are pretty unforgiving.

One thing to be sure to get is a Log Lift and an outfeed tray. Your back will thank you

/ Log splitter power requirement? #4  
Lots of ways to go with this one.

Its hard to say you need "X" tonage. So much depends on type of wood being split and wedge design.

I built my own splitter. You dont need 30 ton for most things, but if you run a 4 way or other multi wedge, you might.

Electrics are available. Avoid the cheap, chinese ones. I have one. Its good for kindling but thats it. way too slow. Ramsplitter makes an electric that seems to be well liked. Many of the European manufacturers make high quality electrics too.

If I was buying, and planned on heating with wood, Id look strongly at the Splitfire models. Manufacturers of high quality, custom engineered wood splitters, log splitters and wood chippers. | Split-Fire Sales Inc. Quality Built. High Performance. | Split-Fire - Your Best Choice BEfore I made mine, we used to rent a splitfire 3255. It was VERY fast and super well built. Google them. They are really respected. Id avoid the flywheel types such as the Supersplit. They are pretty unforgiving.

One thing to be sure to get is a Log Lift and an outfeed tray. Your back will thank you

/ Log splitter power requirement? #5  
I have a 22 ton stand alone Duerr (Out of business now) that can stand vertically if I need to for the really big logs. I have cut and split those you have mentioned and it doesn't hardly slow down and is very reasonably fast. 36" oaks are difficult but if they are 22" or shorter they can be done.

Some bigger dia. oaks will slow the machine way down and once in a while I need to back it out and try a different angle first, but I cut a lot of 36" that way. 18" dia will be a breeze for you. I never had a log I couldn't split but some big knots may need to be played with a little bit.
I have been using this since 1988 with about 5 full chord a year, except for 6 snowbirding years. It has a big oil reservoir so It never gets really got. If I had it to do over again I would buy at least the same sized unit. No smaller.

/ Log splitter power requirement?
Thanks to all so far. All responses have been helpful in some manner to figure out what my end plan will be. I expect I will be cutting them ~ 16" long, so it sounds like 22 Ton is my minimum size.

Deer Dude: Thanks for bringing up the issue about the vertical standing capability; I forget to mention that in my original post and will make sure I get one with this option.

/ Log splitter power requirement? #7  
I have the 35 ton Huskee that I bought used. Typically it run just a little above idle - this is with the 12.6 HP briggs engine. I've never felt that it's lacking power - for an extremely tough piece of Locust I might bump the engine speed up just a bit - it's never had to run at anything approaching high speed though to get the job done. It could probably make it thru most things at idle, but it slows the ram speed down and I get impatient. :)

The ability to stand up vertical is a lifesaver for those 20+ inch pieces. I have the optional "catch tray" though that's a back saver for working horizontal - why pick up the same piece multiple times when you can just park pieces on the tray as you re-split larger pieces.

/ Log splitter power requirement? #8  
I also have a 35 ton Huskee but mine has a 11.5 hp Briggs. Like TravisD said I run mine a little over half throttle and it has plenty of power and fairly fast. I haven't found anything it won't split!

/ Log splitter power requirement? #9  
I did 11 federal cord last year with this. Not certain of it's ton rating :D

122500-splitting-axe-x27-alt1.jpg

/ Log splitter power requirement?