Old Style Fecon Mulcher - tooth info needed.

/ Old Style Fecon Mulcher - tooth info needed. #1  

crossroadsd

Tractor
John Deere, MF, Deutz, Case
I am in the process of clearing some land. This was cutover about 20 years ago and allowed to grow up. We are having a logger come in and chip everything. Here are some pictures of the land. For the most part the logger is doing a good job of keeping the stumps low and keeping it clean. The plan is to mulch the stumps down and go back with pasture and silvopasture.

cut.jpgcut2.jpgcut6.jpgcut5.jpgcut3.jpg

I have bought a Kershaw 10-10 with an old style Fecon head.

ker.jpgker2.jpg

The Fecon is currently running the old style fecon double tip carbide. Some of the land is pretty rocky. I was thinking of changing over to the old style stone tooth as I replace the teeth. I called a dealer here in my state and got a price of $102 per tooth. I wasn't planning to do a full change out at once because the current teeth aren't in that bad of shape. Not sure if that price is in line with other dealers or not.

Are there any good aftermarket teeth for the old style fecon drum that are cheaper?

I only have a few hours on the machine but it seemed to be a little slower than what I was expecting on the larger stumps. I have read in some other post where some people are running planer or knife teeth in the center of the drum. Can't remember the exact name for the teeth. Would you do that in rocky ground?

Thanks for your help.

/ Old Style Fecon Mulcher - tooth info needed. #2  
I run the same style tooth on my mulcher. Planer or knife teeth won't last in rock. When I can get them I run an aftermarket rock tooth, they're great in hardwood but are slower going in softwood than the double carbide tooth.
Can you post or PM me a photo of the stone tooth available to you cause my supply has dried up. Cheers

/ Old Style Fecon Mulcher - tooth info needed.
I don't have any of the stone tooth on hand. I will see if I can find a picture of them.

What brand of aftermarket tooth do you use?

/ Old Style Fecon Mulcher - tooth info needed. #4  
I am in the process of clearing some land. This was cutover about 20 years ago and allowed to grow up. We are having a logger come in and chip everything. Here are some pictures of the land. For the most part the logger is doing a good job of keeping the stumps low and keeping it clean. The plan is to mulch the stumps down and go back with pasture and silvopasture.

View attachment 385289View attachment 385290View attachment 385291View attachment 385292View attachment 385293

I have bought a Kershaw 10-10 with an old style Fecon head.

View attachment 385294View attachment 385295

The Fecon is currently running the old style fecon double tip carbide. Some of the land is pretty rocky. I was thinking of changing over to the old style stone tooth as I replace the teeth. I called a dealer here in my state and got a price of $102 per tooth. I wasn't planning to do a full change out at once because the current teeth aren't in that bad of shape. Not sure if that price is in line with other dealers or not.

Are there any good aftermarket teeth for the old style fecon drum that are cheaper?

I only have a few hours on the machine but it seemed to be a little slower than what I was expecting on the larger stumps. I have read in some other post where some people are running planer or knife teeth in the center of the drum. Can't remember the exact name for the teeth. Would you do that in rocky ground?

Thanks for your help.

As someone who works in rock a lot, I'd use what you got and replace teeth as they break (where they are unusable) with the stone teeth. I think the stone teeth will be slower cutting but should handle the rock better.

If you could watch what you were doing (harder way up in that Kershaw), you could run planers in the middle and just use them for milling the stumps quickly but they will get beat up fast in rock. I run 6 planer teeth in the middle of my drum and it does help with stumps. I have some rock teeth, too, and they hold up well. I run an FAE head in limestone and occasionally flint (the ladder is NOT carbide friendly).

/ Old Style Fecon Mulcher - tooth info needed. #5  
I don't have any of the stone tooth on hand. I will see if I can find a picture of them.

What brand of aftermarket tooth do you use?
Australian Tungsten Coatings( ATC Group.com.au ), a real good wearing tooth but can't get them more. They also sell the double carbide style

/ Old Style Fecon Mulcher - tooth info needed. #6  
Lynn Hendrix Equipment in Livingston, TX. They can usually sell them and ship them cheaper than you can buy local.

/ Old Style Fecon Mulcher - tooth info needed. #7  
I can't help you. But....
That thing is awesome! Please post more pics as you use it. :)