Thoughts on New Holland C238 w/ TimberAx head

/ Thoughts on New Holland C238 w/ TimberAx head #1  

KrayzKajun

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 5010 Cab w/ FEL & HD Cutter, New Holland C232 w/ FAE Mulcher
If everything goes as planned I should be adding a 2013 New Holland C238 too my fleet.
Machine is loaded w/ cab, hiflow, etc.

Will be used for my Sandbag company and to compliment my tractor on clearing work. My original plan was to just run a brush mower on the CTL. Well I have come across what seems to be a good deal on a Loftness Timber Ax.

My goal is to market to the people and companies I bushhogg for already to focus more on underbrush and selective clearing work.

The C238 hydro flow is 24gpm reg and 34gpm hiflow. I plan to replace the glass front door with a thicker lexan door.

All together for the pair will cost me around $53k.

Any opinions on the Timber Ax??

/ Thoughts on New Holland C238 w/ TimberAx head #2  
That machine will be marginal at best. What pressure is it at? Is it a combined flow or closed loop system? Don't get me wrong, it will run a head, but if your gonna try and make money you may be disappointed in your productivity and size material you are efficient in.

/ Thoughts on New Holland C238 w/ TimberAx head #3  
Hi Kajun,
I've not heard anything positive about the timber ax. Someone demoed one here a few years back and called it a "boat" and said it was slow. I think Loftness did a redesign but not sure when.
The pressure on the New Holland will make or brake that machine at high flow. Not sure if Loftness can tune the motor to your exact output. I believe Denis Cimaf can on their heads which might give you better performance over a Timber Ax and still give you blades instead of carbide teeth.

Good luck.

/ Thoughts on New Holland C238 w/ TimberAx head #4  
G'day Kajan
I'm with yellowdog. I ran one last year on a PT100 and it was terrible and the teeth prices are away up there, AUD$7000 for a full set.

/ Thoughts on New Holland C238 w/ TimberAx head
My new holland dealer is an FAE dealer. The new holland c238 is 34gpm and 3000psi.

I looked at FAE USM/SSL 150. Flow range is 34-50gpm. Would I be disappointed in the performance of the head being at the bottom of the flow chart?

/ Thoughts on New Holland C238 w/ TimberAx head #6  
The FAE is a good unit. I doubt you will find many if any using a new Holland for daily mulching. This is for a reason ! Stay with Cat , they have done her homework in this market