Knowing what u know now, what woulda changed?

/ Knowing what u know now, what woulda changed? #1  

Beaudeane

Tractor
2005 Freightliner
Ok guys, I'm asking the guys that have been at this over 5 years now. After establishing yourself in mulching & having a good business model, if I were to go back to the days u were looking to buy your first machine/head, what would be ur different choices from the ones u made, with the wisdom & experience u have now? I'm pretty sure there was a learning curve most of u wouldn't have to take again after seeing the real life way this business works. I've been an owner-op truck driver last 22 years & finally debt free & it's a great feeling but not what I really want to do. I work a niche job, papermill to papermill hauling chemicals. I work when the mill has a problem so end up setting home a good bit. I work just over half the days in a year. Living in GA & most everything I haul is in AL so am not very far from home when I do work. I see the mulching thing as a niche if I can get the right starter equiptment & persue the right folks that may have a want/need for the service. I think this is the time in my life I could get the equiptment to do it & learn how to operate it & hopefully sooner than later the economy would allow it to grow into my job. At least I'd be able to pay for it if it doesn't take off but I think it will. Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance, Seth

/ Knowing what u know now, what woulda changed?
Would there be any more responses if I asked from folks that's been in this 2 years instead of 5? Still looking & trying to learn b4 I take the plunge into a very expensive toy for myself

/ Knowing what u know now, what woulda changed? #4  
If I could go back in time to when I first started mulching I would go to law school

/ Knowing what u know now, what woulda changed? #5  
If I could go back in time to when I first started mulching I would go to law school

You could have the law school gig ! Personally I would have started into mulching earlier.

Tony, that be a definite point on why to try to get away from trucking for me & into something else. I think I quit liking trukin not long after I got into it but was good at it & it provided me & later my wife & kids a living without breaking my back but wish I'd chosen something I'd been happier with for a job. Thx for the input.
CB, would u have chosen the law school because of comparative investment & possible higher returns on it or are u just tired of this biz? Sorta wish I'd did the school thing too but after 12 years of regular school I wasn't willing to put any more desk time in at that time in my life. Would be hard to take time off work to do it now with 3 little ones & a wife to take care of at the same time for me.
Marek, what helped u decide to get into this when u finally did? I've been kickin it around in my head for a while now & don't want to look back at it same as u wishing I'd taken the plunge earlier.
I think I could make a go of it but it's an unknown on the reality of income compared to investment but do realize the bigger the risk, the bigger the payoff or loss also. Did u guys already have a good bit of the support equiptment & background of off road equiptment or did any of u come from a completely unrelated work field strait to this?

/ Knowing what u know now, what woulda changed? #7  
I've been around earthmoving equipment since I was 16 yrs old. Dozers had cable blades then, no excavators only draglines, no powersteering in trucks either. Turn 65 this week.:D

/ Knowing what u know now, what woulda changed? #8  
I've been around earthmoving equipment since I was 16 yrs old. Dozers had cable blades then, no excavators only draglines, no powersteering in trucks either. Turn 65 this week.:D

Happy Birthday OZ! I always enjoy your posts and learn a lot. I didn't get into the equipment thing (started with a simple 8n tractor) until I was about 24 years old. I'm 45 now and have done tractors, dozers, and skid steers and mini excavators. Everything else I just watch. :) We really are spoiled these days. My wife remembers days where I came home coughing and sneezing dirt for hours after a long day in the dusty Texas dirt. Having AC and satellite radio and an air ride seat really spoils a guy. :)

/ Knowing what u know now, what woulda changed? #9  
My wife remembers days where I came home coughing and sneezing dirt for hours after a long day in the dusty Texas dirt. Having AC and satellite radio and an air ride seat really spoils a guy. :)
IMG_0457.jpg
Like this in a super duper Rayco dust free cab. :laughing:

Last edited:
At 42 & a birthday coming on 12/28 I may be a little late in life to try a change but find myself daydreaming bout what yall do as a living for myself everyday instead of in this truck. I need to get over the fairytale wishes or make the jump I guess. Sux to be this distracted by something im that interested in but not sure enough of to go ahead & do. A lot to learn.