Need Advice on Thinning New Acreage Purchase (6 acres)

/ Need Advice on Thinning New Acreage Purchase (6 acres) #1  

RacerX10

Tractor
Kubota BX / Long / Yanmar EX 3200
Hi all, this is my first post here.

I've just purchased 6 acres of wooded land and need to get it ready to build a shop and house on. It looks to me like one of the skid steer mulchers would be perfect for probably 90% of the job that needs to get done. I want to keep it as wooded as possible, but still be able to get around with a bush hog (rotary cutter ?) to keep it tidy after it's all cleaned up.

I'd like to do as much of the work as I can myself to keep costs down. I was quoted $2,100.00 to rent a Cat 279 and MH 315 for a week, with 40 hours of run time allotted for that $$. Is it reasonable to think I can get 6 acres of underbrush and saplings thinned out in 40 hours of run time on the CAT? I have driven a skid loader before but have zero experience with a mulcher.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. I own a small Kubota 2350 and a 1990's era Long 2610 (approx 60 HP) with a front end loader on it, and a 6' bush hog on the back.

Here's a couple pictures of the property. The front view is typical of the worst of it (the most underbrush, etc) but it thins out quite a bit over the rest of the property. I'd like to keep the trees in purple, but they aren't as close as they look .. most are 8' to 10' apart.

keep.jpg

Here's a top view of the 6 acres :

outline.png

Link to Google street view of property, it's the wooded area on the left :

Google Maps "Street View" Link To Property

I would very much appreciate any and all wisdom / comments / thoughts on my project !

Last edited:
   / Need Advice on Thinning New Acreage Purchase (6 acres) #2  
No ideas on mulching, but even 10 feet apart is too close for adult trees if you want them to grow and spread for shade. TOO close and all they do is spindle up tall and thin. Take out all the trees closer than 15-20 feet from each other by selection of the largest and remove the others.
Lots of the small stuff could be just bush hogged under from looks of your photos.

/ Need Advice on Thinning New Acreage Purchase (6 acres)
No ideas on mulching, but even 10 feet apart is too close for adult trees if you want them to grow and spread for shade. TOO close and all they do is spindle up tall and thin. Take out all the trees closer than 15-20 feet from each other by selection of the largest and remove the others.
Lots of the small stuff could be just bush hogged under from looks of your photos.

Maybe I should have a go at bush hogging some of it before I start spending money .. can do that for (nearly) free :)

Wow 300+ views and only 1 reply ?

I'm not picky fellas, looking for any and all opinions. Esp need to know if that HM315 can thin 6 acres driven by a rookie in 40 hours.

Thanks !

/ Need Advice on Thinning New Acreage Purchase (6 acres) #5  
I don't have a great answer for you (yet) but doubt if you can do that much by the look of the picture, in 40 hours. However I have rented a 299D XHP with a HM315 that I get tomorrow AM for a week and will be able to give a better idea soon. I have been doing everything by hand, Stihl large brushsaws and chain saws and am trying to get into the new mechanized mechanical world. Not quite the same issue as you, I have ice storm damaged 20 acres 14 year growth. Answers are few and far between as I have only had one response to my posting the other day as well.

I have a lot of other acreage as well and am looking to purchase a CTL with a mulcher type attachment and trying this one out to see how it runs.

/ Need Advice on Thinning New Acreage Purchase (6 acres) #6  
Maybe I should have a go at bush hogging some of it before I start spending money .. can do that for (nearly) free :)

I tried to use my heavy duty brush hog and quickly abandoned that as it was going to destroy the equipment. DBH of the stem will effect the ability to use a brushhog.

/ Need Advice on Thinning New Acreage Purchase (6 acres) #7  
Not likely that you will be able to do 6 acres in 40 hours. It takes a long time to become productive with the mulcher, and avaoiding all the keeper trees slows you down. That is a really good rental price, but be sure to do the math. You will burn close to 4 gallons/hour in fuel. Pick up/Delivery if you can't haul around 15K lbs. They will probably charge you for any broken teeth, so be sure to ask how much they are. The machines also break, so be sure to clarify who pays that. When it's all added up, it will probably be close to what a local guy can come do it for without the risk to you, and your time can be spent doing something else. They will (should) produce a better finished product in less time than you, if they have been doing it a while and have a capable machine.

Not likely that you will be able to do 6 acres in 40 hours. It takes a long time to become productive with the mulcher, and avaoiding all the keeper trees slows you down. That is a really good rental price, but be sure to do the math. You will burn close to 4 gallons/hour in fuel. Pick up/Delivery if you can't haul around 15K lbs. They will probably charge you for any broken teeth, so be sure to ask how much they are. The machines also break, so be sure to clarify who pays that. When it's all added up, it will probably be close to what a local guy can come do it for without the risk to you, and your time can be spent doing something else. They will (should) produce a better finished product in less time than you, if they have been doing it a while and have a capable machine.

Hey thanks a lot for your comments, all good to know.

That price included insurance and pickup / delivery, but I am kinda concerned that I'd spend that and not get the job done.

I don't have a great answer for you (yet) but doubt if you can do that much by the look of the picture, in 40 hours. However I have rented a 299D XHP with a HM315 that I get tomorrow AM for a week and will be able to give a better idea soon. I have been doing everything by hand, Stihl large brushsaws and chain saws and am trying to get into the new mechanized mechanical world. Not quite the same issue as you, I have ice storm damaged 20 acres 14 year growth. Answers are few and far between as I have only had one response to my posting the other day as well.

I have a lot of other acreage as well and am looking to purchase a CTL with a mulcher type attachment and trying this one out to see how it runs.

I'll be very curious to hear what your experience is on your project

/ Need Advice on Thinning New Acreage Purchase (6 acres) #10  
Hey thanks a lot for your comments, all good to know.

That price included insurance and pickup / delivery, but I am kinda concerned that I'd spend that and not get the job done.

That price sounds really low. If it's an older machine that could explain some of the low rate. Around here, they go for around $1100 per day plus PU/DEL, and insurance. Weekly rates are usually 3X daily rate. Be sure to clarify what the insurance covers at what it doesn't. Some only cover major loss, some are the exact opposite. Some consider broken teeth abuse because you hit a big rock. Same with hoses, it could be considered abuse because a tree fell and ripped a $300 hose and $100 quick coupler off the machine. I just say this because things break and accidents happen even after years in the woods. Things happen much more often during the first several months.

I would have at least 1 person come out and quote what you want done. If nothing else it would give you an idea of how long it will take an experienced operator. The price may surprise you, or you may pass out.