Ford 276

/ Ford 276 #1  

tonyoz

Platinum Member
Queensland & Far South Coast NSW Australia
Tractor
Rayco
I have been looking for a bidirectional tractor for a while and came across this tractor. It's X government unit with around 4000hrs all light work. I don't know very much about them except that they came out of the old Versatile stable and went on to New Holland. So are there any pointers or vices that I should look for.
Thanks in advance
Cheers Tony.

/ Ford 276 #2  
I have no experience but have heard that they can have problems with fires under the cab. The hydraulic hoses and the wires all go through that area and both wear out with time.

/ Ford 276 #3  
I owned a TV 145. A newer model than you are looking at. I ran a brown 9604 on ours. It was great for mowing but not for mulching. The pto gear box will not hold up, plus you need an extra support ram on your 3 pt to support weight of mulcher to withstand abuse. If you want a similar tractor look at a valtra t-190. They no longer sell those in the states, but they are built heavy and will do the job.

/ Ford 276 #5  
Flail mower will be fine, mulching it won't hold up.

/ Ford 276
Thanks ROW mulcher. When I get a chance I'll go and have a look at it. I love the idea of having a low tech tractor. No dam ECU's :thumbsup:

/ Ford 276 #7  
They are neat machines, and you can get loader arms for them. If they did some mods, put a good hydrolic pump in it . It would be a great medium size woods unit, but as it sits I would say it's a light duty machine for mowing not mulching.

/ Ford 276
but as it sits I would say it's a light duty machine for mowing not mulching.
Yep that's just what I want. A lot of areas I clean up can have parts of them with only small regrowth about 1" dia and it just seems crazy and slow to run the Rayco through it. Plus many of my costumers want follow up mowing after I have mowed the trees.:thumbsup: