skidsteer vs. mulcher for mulching?

/ skidsteer vs. mulcher for mulching? #1  

kalebrp91

Hey this is my first post here I'm usually just reading in the shadows. I was wondering why most people I see on here prefer ctl over skidsteer for mulching applications. It looks to me like price wise solid rubber tires and steel tracks would be more cost effective. I'm wanting to start my own mulching business sometime in the future it has been my dream job . I do have a lot of experience running a skidsteer on our farm. Thanks for your answers and opinions you can give me in advance any help would be great

/ skidsteer vs. mulcher for mulching? #2  
I believe biggest reason for CTL vs wheeled loader is stability with same size machine. If compare 2 identical frames, 1 mounted as CTL the other a Skid-loader (wheeled machine) the the tip load point is higher on the CTL. The front track idler set farther forward than the front axle on wheel loader so the pivot point is farther foward. As example: Bobcat T770 CTL & S770 SSL are identical in every way except the track drive vs wheel. Tip load on the T770 is 10887 lbs. and S770 is 6700 lbs. Granted the track frame adds some extra weight but most of this is due to location of front pivot.

/ skidsteer vs. mulcher for mulching? #3  
I believe biggest reason for CTL vs wheeled loader is stability with same size machine. If compare 2 identical frames, 1 mounted as CTL the other a Skid-loader (wheeled machine) the the tip load point is higher on the CTL. The front track idler set farther forward than the front axle on wheel loader so the pivot point is farther foward. As example: Bobcat T770 CTL & S770 SSL are identical in every way except the track drive vs wheel. Tip load on the T770 is 10887 lbs. and S770 is 6700 lbs. Granted the track frame adds some extra weight but most of this is due to location of front pivot.
Unless you're working continually working on flat ground a wheeled machine will not go where a CTL can.:2cents:

/ skidsteer vs. mulcher for mulching? #4  
I will let you know soon as we just purchased a 272 d with flexport tires and are now looking for the best over the tire tracks for our use. Same everything as our 299d except it has tires. Weight wise we will be close to the weight of our 299. Machine will have all the same guarding as our 299 also, now looking for a used head for it. Our 299 will still be our main mulcher but having another machine for a back up and on larger jobs will be nice . As will the ability to use the 272 for snow, if we get any this year !

/ skidsteer vs. mulcher for mulching? #5  
ground clearance in wheel loaders must be greater than the crawler

/ skidsteer vs. mulcher for mulching? #8  
Does the extra weight of the CTL over the rubber tire version of these machines rob horsepower from other applications. In other words, does moving the weight of the CTL over the skidsteer affect performance?
Before machines got so heavy and before I was mulching, I ran skid steers with loegering OTT tracks (trailblazers). There was almost no place I couldn't go including mud. I did get the machine stuck a few times (buried to back door in deep mud in a lake bottom) but most of the time it floated over all terrain. If Bobcat didn't require spacers on the new machines, I'd probably own a pair of OTT tracks for some of the rougher applications I encounter. My next backup machine will be a lighter machine with OTT metal tracks because of where I live. My mini ex tracks don't hold up well at all when working in rock.
As far as mulching, other than getting stuck a couple of times with tires, I've not had a problem with rubber tires running a mulcher in 5000-6000+ hours mulching and mowing.
A CTL, if I could haul it, would be a very nice toy except that I'm positive I would go through tracks when working in rock and some of the stumps we encounter here (sharp).

/ skidsteer vs. mulcher for mulching? #9  
Hey this is my first post here I'm usually just reading in the shadows. I was wondering why most people I see on here prefer ctl over skidsteer for mulching applications. It looks to me like price wise solid rubber tires and steel tracks would be more cost effective. I'm wanting to start my own mulching business sometime in the future it has been my dream job . I do have a lot of experience running a skidsteer on our farm. Thanks for your answers and opinions you can give me in advance any help would be great

A new forest mulcher will set you back $25-40K but boy do they do the trick!

You can use a forest mulcher on just about any medium sized or larger skid or track loader. A new skid or track loader loader will set you back about $55-60KK. You must have one with high flow hydraulics to work with commercial forest mulchers. There are forest mulchers that work on lower flow, older skid loaders, but they still cost a fortune, and your production times will be longer, which will increase your operating expenses.

Your can find piles of used track loaders that look great but the track bits are nearly shot because the operators didn't wash them out after every job and lube them up. For used skid loaders, they come in all price ranges, but the one you want is the one that was too big for the last owner. Many of them are seriously beat up. Plan on head jobs at 3,000 hours, new engines at 6,000 hours.

Make sure you get a good car hauler or equipment hauler with a pair of 7,000 pound axles and a truck able to lug it all around. Keep the trailer brake battery topped up all the time. Cops like the check that and it is a big ticket!

Starting out, double the cost of your combined insurance and equipment costs based on a 5,000 hour operating life and you should undercut others so you get your name out there. After three years without incident, your insurance costs should decrease, and you should be charging about 3 times the operating costs of your equipment costs, wages, insurances and fuel per hour. Always charge a transport fee after the first 20 miles. If anybody balks, explain fuel, trailer, chains, chain binders, and truck costs and what a fantastic deal it is that you're only charging X.

Try to break out your insurance on the equipment away from your commercial operating insurance because it will be cheaper that way. Commercially, you want 1,000,000 per incident coverage with say, 1,000,000 top pay out. Your insurer will try to sell you much more.

Speaking of, SSdoxie's remarks, I thought the 770 is the four wheel steer Bobcat, no?

Anyway, forest mulchers are just impressive tools!