best walk behind brush mower

/ best walk behind brush mower #1  

kenk4

Tractor
kubota l35,jd450h,mustang944 remote control reach forklift,gehl 92hp track loader,etc.etc,
I am clearing 10 acres of manzanita and need a small heavy duty mower to fit where my 92hp track loader with mulcher can't fit. I remember as a kid having no guards to get around trees and rocks with a big wheeled mower. All I see are mowers with huge guards. Is there still anything not stupid proof out there ?

/ best walk behind brush mower #2  
Open up the tight spots with a bucket or chainsaw. Anything without a guard has the one legged people lining up at the lawyers office.

/ best walk behind brush mower
you're no fun. That's called Darwinism.

/ best walk behind brush mower #4  
Grillo/BCS

/ best walk behind brush mower #5  
:welcome:
To the forum Ken, from Alabama.

/ best walk behind brush mower #6  
I guess you could walk behind them?:laughing:

Attachments

• 6a00d83452652569e2015433a90904970c-500wi.jpg
    6a00d83452652569e2015433a90904970c-500wi.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 193
  • images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    15.9 KB · Views: 218
  • images-1.jpeg
    images-1.jpeg
    10.7 KB · Views: 175
   / best walk behind brush mower #7  
Back in the early 90's we used DR brush mowers to clear heavy weeds and small saplings in tight areas. Worked great though it was hard work.

/ best walk behind brush mower #8  
I second the vote for a Grillo or BCS or a used Gravely. If you get one of these, make sure they have wheel brakes to assist in steering the beasts. Had a DR string trimmer on wheels. It was kinda useless except on level areas because it wasn't self-propelled. Unless you're a big strong guy, you need self propulsion and some help steering the two wheeled beasts. The 12 hp Gravely I had was unusable to me until I found some steering brakes to slap onto it. Then, it could be run with one hand on the steering bar.

Ralph

/ best walk behind brush mower #9  
Had a Gravely and the brush mower is very well made and can get close and trim with it.
Some call them the man killer - not because the lack of a guard on the mower, more for the heart attack it cause from fighting it on a hill, or several other reasons......

The newer one also has steering brakes and I would strongly recommend them.

/ best walk behind brush mower
Thanks for all the good advice. I will be keeping my eye out for a good used high end mower since money sadly is an object right now. I just missed a dr for 850.