wtb stump grinder

/ wtb stump grinder #1  

dpb800

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra/3616 Cab HST 2010, Ford/8n 1952, JD/GX345
I'm looking for a stump grinder that I can use on my mahindra 3616. It's a category 1 3-point with 29 HP at the PTO. I have at least 6 stumps that need taken out this spring. Was hoping I could find something that will get the job done.

I would be up to renting as well, just haven't found any rental places near by with a 3 point unit.

Anyone out there within a few hundred miles of central Iowa that had one for sale? Any one know of a good local place that rents them?

Thanks

/ wtb stump grinder
No ideas for a stump grinder? Anything for rent or sale. Thanks.

/ wtb stump grinder #3  
Look online for a stump screw. At only 29 hp, I think you will have trouble finding a grinder which is high speed and high torque. Stump screws are slow speed, high torque. How big are the stumps?

/ wtb stump grinder #5  
Why not just hire someone to grind the stumps?

That's what I'm thinking.
First of all, I'm not aware of any grinder that's going to work well on that small of a tractor. Even if you could get one that would work marginally well, if you were to tear up the PTO clutch, that would cost way more than hiring a contractor.

I have a pretty large place, (100+ acres) and I don't own a stump grinder. I hire mine done. I've seen what a grinder will do to a tractor.
Just my :twocents:

/ wtb stump grinder #6  
29 hp is just a blip on the screen for a stump grinder. I help my nephew remove stumps commercially. When it comes to stump grinders 35 hp is considered small and most operate in the 60-140 hp range.

Call somebody that does stump removal, and tell them you will do the clean up and leveling. They will probably cut you a good deal on a grind and go.

/ wtb stump grinder
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have 6 stumps to remove. The largest is 3 1/2 to 4 ft diameter with the others all about 2 ft diameter. We are putting an attached garage on the house this spring and a lucust stump is right in the middle of the where the floor will be. I need to remove that stump for sure but would like to remove the others from the yard if I'm going to be doing one anyway. I've asked a local company how much to remove 5 stumps at that time and it was $500+. That seemed a little steep to me. We have a local rental place but they have a small walk behind unit for $175 a day. I think that may be my best option at this point just not looking forward to manually grinding out 6 stumps in as little time as I can. I was hoping to get some seat time in if I could find a 3 point grinder that would work. From the sounds of it they don't make them that small and they are not good on the tractor either.

I'll have to think about it some more. I also have a crazy idea to just make a mid sized unit that I can either use on the pto or with a stand alone small engine. Not sure if time will permit as spring is coming fast and the stump is one of the first things that needs to be removed. Thanks again everyone.

/ wtb stump grinder #8  
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have 6 stumps to remove. The largest is 3 1/2 to 4 ft diameter with the others all about 2 ft diameter. We are putting an attached garage on the house this spring and a lucust stump is right in the middle of the where the floor will be. I need to remove that stump for sure but would like to remove the others from the yard if I'm going to be doing one anyway. I've asked a local company how much to remove 5 stumps at that time and it was $500+. That seemed a little steep to me. We have a local rental place but they have a small walk behind unit for $175 a day. I think that may be my best option at this point just not looking forward to manually grinding out 6 stumps in as little time as I can. I was hoping to get some seat time in if I could find a 3 point grinder that would work. From the sounds of it they don't make them that small and they are not good on the tractor either.

I'll have to think about it some more. I also have a crazy idea to just make a mid sized unit that I can either use on the pto or with a stand alone small engine. Not sure if time will permit as spring is coming fast and the stump is one of the first things that needs to be removed. Thanks again everyone.

Depending on how deep you go, $500 is cheap. I charge $1,100 plus tax a day (but our stumps have rock and are rock hard to begin with..almost exclusively dead oak) and could probably get those stumps in a half day and that's smoothing everything out (reasonably.. no raking..that's extra). I'd pay the $500 and be glad someone works cheap.

/ wtb stump grinder
I suppose that may be a good price. Apparently the real problem is that I'm cheap.

/ wtb stump grinder #10  
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I have 6 stumps to remove. The largest is 3 1/2 to 4 ft diameter with the others all about 2 ft diameter. We are putting an attached garage on the house this spring and a lucust stump is right in the middle of the where the floor will be. I need to remove that stump for sure but would like to remove the others from the yard if I'm going to be doing one anyway. I've asked a local company how much to remove 5 stumps at that time and it was $500+. That seemed a little steep to me. We have a local rental place but they have a small walk behind unit for $175 a day. I think that may be my best option at this point just not looking forward to manually grinding out 6 stumps in as little time as I can. I was hoping to get some seat time in if I could find a 3 point grinder that would work. From the sounds of it they don't make them that small and they are not good on the tractor

If it's a large stump that is in the middle of your proposed garage I would get that one dug out rather than ground. I wouldn't want to pour a floor over a place where a newly ground out stump was. You are going to get some settling that could crack your floor. I would get it dug out and compact the area really well before they pour the floor. Good luck!