ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #1  

Southern Forestry

Tractor
ASV RC-100
Ok guys, I got some good advice from you fellows last problem I had, so maybe someone can point me in the right direction here.
2005 ASV-RC-100 all the sudden started running rough idling and running. It'll only run for a little while (5 minutes-10 minutes) before it dies. It white smokes LIkE CRAZY, you can smell the nuburnt fuel, and it is building pressure in the fuel tank, when you take the cap off it is pressurized. I have taken the injectors off and had them checked, and they are not the problem. I am leaning towards the pump and it maybe messing with the timing?? When you first crank it up it smokes BAD, after it runs a littel bit the smoke calms down, but you can still smell it, and if you rev the throttle, it puffs smoke again and when you throttle it back down it smokes again.

Any ideas???

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #3  
Did you guys just get some cold temps? Sounds like your fuel filter is jelled up. Doubt they thin/ treat your diesel down there.

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #4  
Mate, have you checked the turbo?:2cents:

That's where I was going. A bud had similar issues on his low hour (same machine). It needed a new turbo. I also read somewhere, maybe Heavy Eqipment forum Skid Steers that there is a bolt, I think on an engine mount that go's into the engine block that can work loose and dump all your engine oil. You're motor is toast before you notice it! I wish that I remembered the details for you, but that would keep me up at night. You might do a little "googleing" on that topic.

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #5  
Yep, read that here on I think on the Construction Equipment forum. From memory it is on the front of the engine at the rear of the machine, don't remember which side.

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #6  
My chipper's cummins smoked like that on cold days but it didn't die. Poor fuel in my Bobcat caused similar issues. Can you smell fuel in the engine compartment?

I would be checking my fuel filter for ice if you had a really cold morning. doesn't sound like injectors. Sounds like the fuel isn't making it all the way out of the filter. No chance you have gasoline mixed in with the diesel or water? Change the fuel filter but before you do that, drain it and see what's in it. Look for dirt, rust and especially water. If it won't drain, that filter is clogged. I had a lot of fuel issues and it is generally from poor quality fuel or gasoline.

Also try opening the fuel drain petcock or air release screw and squeeze the primer bulb. You should have fuel pump out with each squeeze.

Hope it's just a fuel issue.

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking
Thanks guys, I just replaced the fuel filters, they have about 5 hours on them, but I am going to do it again. Yeah we had some cold temps down here a few weeks ago, ice storms and stuff, we typically dont get snow or ice, but we have this year. I sure hope it isn't the turbo, but I will look at that.

Thanks guys

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #8  
Have you check the fuel tank for trash? Does the fuel run out steady? Also check your air filter for moister . And check the fuel filters . And least check and clean your fuel cap. On the small diesel engines the turbo can fail , but it will suck out the oil in a matter of hours.

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking
How do you go about checking the turbo?? All the filters are new. It may be trach in the tank, but I don't think so. Why would it build pressure in the fuel tank?

/ ASV RC-100 Rough Idle and Smoking #10  
My buddies was siezed up. Get acess on the intake side and see if you can spin it by hand. Visually inspect what you can see for anything obvious.