Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head

/ Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head #1  

Gebada22

Tractor
John Deere 2320
I would appreciate opinions on renting a Track Loader with forestry head. We have a Bobcat unit available for rent where I live. We are clearing a couple acres and have removed all the trees and left stumps a couple feet of the ground. We have a large amount of brush and the stumps to deal with. I know it will take me a while to learn, but I am thinking I can get the hang. Our ground is flat and largely rock free. Thoughts on renting would be appreciated. Greg

/ Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head #2  
I think you'll do just fine. Watch a lot of videos with pros mulching and keep a close eye on technique.

/ Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head #3  
I agree rent it and go. I did last fall for 7 days and am now looking at acquiring one to avoid the rental issues.

However the idea of stump grinding with the mulching head may not be a player. Not knowing what head you are looking at, most have a diameter specification for mulching purposes.
Of course I do not know what kind of stump you are referring to. To me a stump is 18-30 inches for what we have.

The other thing is some/most mulchers require a high flow hydraulic system. Make certain the Bobcat can run the head otherwise your frustration will skyrocket quickly. Also make certain the door on the Bobcat is rated for mulching. It will get hit by debris; and shattered glass in the face is not good.

Your efficiency will improve over time and the learning curve is moderately steep.

/ Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head
Thanks for the info. I will do as you suggest. Most of the stumps are less than 15" but there are a couple which are larger. I will speak with the rental company about these items before going forward. Greg

/ Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head #5  
I always feel under pressure when renting. Maybe not a bad thing in that you are motivated. Too bad so much of the stump remains. That's a lot of extra grinding!

I'm guessing that is a violent, hard on the operator, operation, especially in a skidsteer which is already tough on the operator. It sure would be nice to have tried it, though.

/ Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head #6  
I'm all for someone renting and expanding their experience. But keep a few things in mind:

-Stumps that size will be PAINFULLY slow with a skid steer size machine and carbide teeth. If it's at Bobcat, it probably has a Bobcat head, and I don't believe they offer knives.

-When computing your costs don't forget transportation (if you can't carry 13K lbs), insurance, and fuel (4-4.5 gallons per hour)

-If it's only 2 acres, you will probably come out cheaper finding a local contractor with a machine with a head that has knives. A good, sharp set of knives will take care of each stump in 1-2 minutes vs 30 or more with carbides.

/ Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head
Colby,
Thanks for the great info. I appreciate it. Greg

/ Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head #8  
For a couple acres..... Find someone local with a bulldozer to push trees, stumps and all into a pile and burn it later.

/ Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head #9  
I always feel under pressure when renting. Maybe not a bad thing in that you are motivated. Too bad so much of the stump remains. That's a lot of extra grinding!

I'm guessing that is a violent, hard on the operator, operation, especially in a skidsteer which is already tough on the operator. It sure would be nice to have tried it, though.

I have a at least 10 to 20 stumps I want to somehow eliminate or hide.

At the very least, assuming a person has an adequate chain saw, you can cut the stump again much closer to the ground, it would only take a few minutes per stump, saves you a LOT of grinding and you get some firewood as a plus. If you don't mind the stump being there almost flush with the ground, you don't have to grind at all.

/ Renting Track Loader with Forestry Head #10  
For a couple acres..... Find someone local with a bulldozer to push trees, stumps and all into a pile and burn it later.

It depends on the stumps, but if it is like most of my stumps, you would need a monster dozer to push them out of the ground, unless the ground is very loose or the stump is rotten.

Stumps are like icebergs, most of the stump mass is underground and huge compared to what is visible. Generally the best way I have seen to attack significant stumps is to use and excavator of significant size to dig them out. You can use a dozer or a skidsteer to do that too, but it takes longer and you have to know what you are doing.

Personally, since I won't be cultivating my forest (I had it thinned, not clear cut), I won't mind cutting the stumps flush with the ground and leaving the rest there. My neighbors clear cut and one of them removed stumps from part of that land - I watched him dig them out. Even with an excavator it was a lot of work.