To thin or not to thin

/ To thin or not to thin #1  

truckdiagnostics

Platinum Member
Tractor
7753 bobcat
17 years ago white pine was planted on about 10 acres. In some spots the trees did really well and every tree they planted came up, so I have some trees 8' apart. Now they are between 20'-30' in height, nothing is growing on the forest floor. They are fighting for light as in some spots have maybe growth on top 20%-30%. Now what do I do? Dropping some will be interesting, my fear is they could damage the other trees or worst yet get hung up. What happens if I just leave it?

/ To thin or not to thin #2  
Your best bet is to contact your county forester. He/she will be able to advise you to how you should proceed.

Steve

/ To thin or not to thin #3  
I planted 6 white pines about the same distance you did 30 years ago and all but one flourished. To answer your question about leaving them, you'll get a pile of needles and pinecones every year that tend to snuff out undergrowth. But for me that is OK because they are probably my favorite tree. Owls and hawks make nests in them and in turn that controls the varmints. Hardy tree once established and snuffing out the grapevines and sumac to me are a plus.

What are the concerns on your end?

/ To thin or not to thin #4  
<snip>What happens if I just leave it?
Chances are it will do fine.
Like Steve wrote contact your forester. I don't know where Reedsville is, Wisconsin? West Virginia?
17 years is about right for a thinning cut in Mississippi, early in Vermont.
As you can see pine tend to be self pruning.
In general pine pulpwood prices are down now and 10 acres might be a little small for a big firm to come in and thin.

/ To thin or not to thin
I planted 6 white pines about the same distance you did 30 years ago and all but one flourished. To answer your question about leaving them, you'll get a pile of needles and pinecones every year that tend to snuff out undergrowth. But for me that is OK because they are probably my favorite tree. Owls and hawks make nests in them and in turn that controls the varmints. Hardy tree once established and snuffing out the grapevines and sumac to me are a plus.

What are the concerns on your end?

Looks like poop, when I can look straight through and I am not getting any under growth. Basically looks like a bunch of q tips.

/ To thin or not to thin #6  
Your best bet is to contact your county forester. He/she will be able to advise you to how you should proceed.

Steve

I agree. Around here its the stater forester. They'll tell you the best plan (usually for free) and get you in contact with professional forester to do the work if any is needed or you can do it yourself. :thumbsup:

/ To thin or not to thin #7  
If your tree crown is only 20-30% of height as you stated then your trees are not that healthy. It will need a very careful thin and should definitely be done in consultation with a forester. In most states there are government foresters that are available to help you, might be state or county. Contact the DNR (Dept of Natural Resources) or whatever name your state uses.

/ To thin or not to thin #8  
I don't know about white pine but we used to plant loblolly pine on about 150 ac and we planed to have them thinned at about 15 to 20 years, depending on how they grew. As others have said call the forestry dep, that is why they are there, to help. Ed

/ To thin or not to thin #9  
I don't know about white pine but we used to plant loblolly pine on about 150 ac and we planed to have them thinned at about 15 to 20 years, depending on how they grew. As others have said call the forestry dep, that is why they are there, to help. Ed

Just another darn government agency spending money :)

/ To thin or not to thin
When we purchased the property the trees where planted under the CRP program, so I might have chance with forester looking at it. We made orignal owner take it out of the program when we bought, as he didn't take care of them and didn't want to assume his risk. Never, really put much faith in gov agencies doing anything, but making things difficult don't know how comfortable I am with them nosing around. I,ll think about it and keep u posted