Self built Mulcher .

/ Self built Mulcher . #1  

Eagleview

Veteran Member
Over the years , I have accumulated a few bits and pieces that I have decided to glue together and end up with a tracked Mulcher .

The object of the plan is to use what I have at home and only buy in parts like hydraulic pumps , valve bodies , hoses etc .

I have a new cabin off of an articulated road roller that I picked up for near nothing that was still in the factory crate . While I was picking it up from the business that sold it to me , I noticed a new articulated front end loader bonnet in a crate . I made them a silly offer and they helped me load it up . :thumbsup:

I ended up with 4 new track frames and tracks from a rock crusher/screen supplier that have been sitting around for years at home .

Then I bought a 4 cylinder Diesel 175hp Nissan UD truck engine with only 90,000k's on the clock for a job but never happened .

The other day , I am looking at all this stuff and thought, bugger it , i'll build a mulcher ! (as you do)

Hope you get a kick out of the build , but please dont think it will take a week to do it . You could be in for a wait but these few picks will wet your appetite .

Day 1 .

Looking, Looking . :eek:

track.JPG

cabin and bonnet.JPG

Day 2/3/4/5

Cut the centers out of two of the track frames to use as cross members to join the remaining two . I didn't want to use box section as it is too torsionally stiff . These sections are "U" shaped with internal gussets etc and they can flex without cracking welds etc . Also built the Channel section intermediate chassis which will carry the cabin , bonnet , engine etc . Turned it all over in the dirt so I could fit the belly plate to the bottom .

crane end 007.JPG

Day 6

Fitted the rollers, idlers, track motors and tracks and turned it back over . It was then cleaned and scull dragged into the shed .

crane end 008.JPG

Day 7 (today 25/3/16)

Cabin and bonnet lifted on to the upper chassis . The cabin will be 8 inches higher when the cross members are welded in and the rubber mounts are in place .

Tracked mulcher 002.JPG

Tracked mulcher 003.JPG

Tracked mulcher 006.JPG

Last edited:
   / Self built Mulcher . #2  
All I have to say is WOW! This will be interesting.

175 hp should provide plenty of power for the beast. What kind of flow numbers are you looking at for the head?

/ Self built Mulcher . #3  
How much did you pay for all of this so far??

/ Self built Mulcher . #4  
Got to admire the "Screw it, just because I can!" attitiude. :thumbsup:

/ Self built Mulcher .
RDrancher , The head will be PTO driven , straight off the engine flywheel . I am keeping the truck clutch and bellhousing and will be making a splined shaft to come out of the clutch and hook up to a series 8 tractor PTO shaft . In an emergency , I will be able to push the clutch pedal in the cab and disengage the rotor .

The pumps I mentioned are to drive the track motors and lift the mulcher etc .

Last edited:
   / Self built Mulcher .
Next week I will be mounting the engine and fuel tank .

I also want to mount a 100 litre water tank and electric pump somewhere . It will have a hose and wand so I can put out any small spot fires , minor engine fires and also be able to clean the windscreens . I hate looking through mesh so 12mm tinted Swimming Pool fence glass panels will be mounted in front of the windscreen . They will take a fair bit of punishment and if they do break , it's only $100 to replace them .

Last edited:
   / Self built Mulcher .
This is the 3 Point Linkage that will be going on the front of the machine . It will not only allow me to run a Tractor type mulcher , but also any other Tractor mounted implement I want , Stump Grinder , Wood Chipper , Asphalt Grinder etc .

IMG_1627.JPG

/ Self built Mulcher . #10  
Next week I will be mounting the engine and fuel tank .

I also want to mount a 100 litre water tank and electric pump somewhere . It will have a hose and wand so I can put out any small spot fires , minor engine fires and also be able to clean the windscreens . I hate looking through mesh so 12mm tinted Swimming Pool fence glass panels will be mounted in front of the windscreen . They will take a fair bit of punishment and if they do break , it's only $100 to replace them .
I'm not 100% sure that you meant by the screen but do you mean expanded metal? ?