Opening up land for a garden and orchard

/ Opening up land for a garden and orchard #1  

BCrouse

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5200
Ive recently started opening up land for a garden. I used a 5' bush hog. It did a pretty decent job with the 3-4' high weeds and saplings.

c00807a38bcc1453f29b6d9f3feaa1c0.jpg

(Dog had to get into the pic. Thanks buddy)

My question is, should I take the landscaper rake to all that dried debris first, then plow or plow first then run the landscaper rake over it? (Yes I cleaned the dog poo up)

I just picked up a 14" (pretty sure its a 14, haven't measured it) single bottom plow that should do a pretty good job of turning the soil over. Still working on cleaning it up. Needs a bit of paint.
f27d618f8b1535fbe0213222c6a6212f.jpg

I haven't cleared any land for the orchard yet. Suggestions on land prep?

Last edited:
   / Opening up land for a garden and orchard #2  
Ive recently started opening up land for a garden. I used a 5' bush hog. It did a pretty decent job with the 3-4' high weeds and saplings. (Dog had to get into the pic. Thanks buddy) My question is, should I take the landscaper rake to all that dried debris first, then plow or plow first then run the landscaper rake over it? (Yes I cleaned the dog poo up) I just picked up a 14" (pretty sure its a 14, haven't measured it) single bottom plow that should do a pretty good job of turning the soil over. Still working on cleaning it up. Needs a bit of paint. I haven't cleared any land for the orchard yet. Suggestions on land prep?

I would keep running the bush hog over the garden area till everything is all chopped up. Then let it rot for a week or two and then bush hog again. Should plow no problem. The only issue you may run into is those "saplings". Depending on the size they could hang a plow up.

/ Opening up land for a garden and orchard
I would keep running the bush hog over the garden area till everything is all chopped up. Then let it rot for a week or two and then bush hog again. Should plow no problem. The only issue you may run into is those "saplings". Depending on the size they could hang a plow up.

Any thoughts on the landscaper rake?

Also, do my pictures show up? I do not see them.

/ Opening up land for a garden and orchard #4  
Pictures not showing, says "invalid attachment"

/ Opening up land for a garden and orchard #5  
Any thoughts on the landscaper rake? Also, do my pictures show up? I do not see them.

I don't think it's necessary if everything gets chopped up well by the bush hog.

I don't think it's necessary if everything gets chopped up well by the bush hog.

Yah I think my deck wasnt level and it didnt chop as good as it should have. Im gonna have to do it again if I dont plow it over soon

Redid the pics. See if they work now

Should I start looking for a disc harrow or rototiller as a "follow up" to plowing?

/ Opening up land for a garden and orchard #9  
Brush hog it one more time, plow it, disc, then run a spiked tooth drag or your landscape rake for your final seed bed.

Or rototill then follow up with your landscape rake.

/ Opening up land for a garden and orchard #10  
Remove the coulter blade from the plow,, the debris will just roll under the coulter, lifting the plow out of the ground.
A coulter is normally only useful when fine roots are present, like grass or wheat,,, etc.