Will this end go in a chipper/mulcher?

/ Will this end go in a chipper/mulcher? #1  

IHMAN1

Tractor
IH
tree_end.jpg

I have a field full of pulled up and broken off wild Bradford pear trees. Most are broken off at ground level and do not have a root or root ball attached. They look like the one in the attached pic. The ones with a root attached are being cut off. My question is would these irregular shaped ends like in the picture be able to be fed into a large capacity Vermeer BC 1000 XL chipper without having to be square cut off on the end? That jagged end is well within the 12 inch feed capacity of the BC 1000.

/ Will this end go in a chipper/mulcher? #2  
Those should feed just fine. I feed my 6" Bandit everything except roots because of the concern for embedded dirt and rock.

/ Will this end go in a chipper/mulcher?
Thanks Jerry, obviously I have never used a chipper and spent yesterday afternoon trimming many of the ends off. My rental unit wont be the Vermeer after all, it will be a Carlton 1712 which is supposed to be a little better than the Vermeer at least for rental operator purposes. I will be sure and review it here after I complete the job.

/ Will this end go in a chipper/mulcher? #4  
I've spent many hours running a couple of Vermeer 1000s. If you can fit it into the chute, it'll pull it in just fine. If the Carlton is "better" it should do fine as well.

If you've never used a chipper, and you're renting one, I'll tell you this: that chipper can work faster than one person. You'll get more of your money's worth out of a rental unit if you've got someone bringing you material and you're feeding the machine. You could also spend a lot of time pre arranging your material so you can grab it from the back of the chipper and so it isn't tangled.

Really, though, two people is ideal.

I was at my property today cutting more roots off the pulled trees prepping for the chipper. I noticed that most all my individual trees once cut off the root were in the 4 inch range. I'm getting the chipper Friday afternoon and have reserved the 12 inch model. The guy behind the rental counter said the 6 inch model would do better on small material than the 89 hp 12 inch model. So now I really need an experienced chipper operator to set me straight. Should I get the 6 inch model?

/ Will this end go in a chipper/mulcher? #6  
On my 8 in hydraulic fed chipper. If it fits in the chute, it disappears, big and small. A 12 in chipper can do whole trees if fed correctly.

/ Will this end go in a chipper/mulcher? #7  
...The guy behind the rental counter said the 6 inch model would do better on small material than the 89 hp 12 inch model. So now I really need an experienced chipper operator to set me straight. Should I get the 6 inch model?

Tree guys use machines that size and don't bring smaller machines just because all branches taper down to real small stuff. If you are ok with towing the weight of the 12 inch and the rental fee, stay with it. Most 6 inch models will feed intermittently on stuff near their maximum capacity ( by design) to keep rpm's up. That 12 inch chipper will likely chip it faster.

Follow up, the Carlton 1712 was a beast. It handled everything I threw into it from small limbs to a couple of 10 inchers. The only shortcomings which probably apply to every chipper was that small limbs wrap around the drum and short large pieces get "stored" between the drum and the chipper knives. The real drawback to my whole mission was that I simply had too many trees to chip in a weekends time. I ended up renting a mini ex with a thumb and now have a bunch of burn piles.

/ Will this end go in a chipper/mulcher? #9  
Whew!! You must be super strong to be able to lug 10" trees up to and load in the chute of the chipper. I have a Wallenstein BX62S that will handle 6" trees and believe me that's all I can handle too. I cut and chip 750-900 small pine trees every spring to maintain my forests. Dragging a 6" freshly cut pine that's 30 feet long is all this old man can do.

After I cut the trees, I do use the grapple to "bundle" them. Then I go from bundle to bundle chipping them.

I chip the trees "in the round" - IE... I don't remove any limbs.

I was going to get the next size bigger chipper - 8" or 9" - but the dealer said - go out and cut a 9" pine and see how far you can drag it before you decide.

That's why I got the 6" model. And since I don't clear cut these small pines - I have to at least drag them to where I can get at them with the grapple.

I've never had a moments problem with Wallenstein chippers........and as motownbrown indicates it really a two person operation. Actually, three would be nice - two to do the lugging/chipping and I could easily supervise. Whatever the case - the cutting, bunching, lugging & chipping is a real task for me in the spring.

/ Will this end go in a chipper/mulcher? #10  
I've never had a moments problem with Wallenstein chippers........and as motownbrown indicates it really a two person operation. Actually, three would be nice - two to do the lugging/chipping and I could easily supply the beer.

Fixed it for you. ;)