Question re: Norse 450 Forestry Winch

/ Question re: Norse 450 Forestry Winch #1  

blooper

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1648
Was doing some maintenance today on my Norse winch while putting it up for the winter and hooking up the snowblower. There isn't much to it, however I have a couple questions that for some reason aren't covered in my owners manual.

First: What is this turn knob adjustment for? The handle turns and a lever puts more or less pressure on the main plate (spool).

IMG_0714.JPGIMG_0708.JPG

Second... The manual shows two places to oil, one being the chain inside and the second just vaguely points to a somewhere below the spool of cable. But i cant really see anything there that would need oiled or lubed (the bearing is sealed). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

/ Question re: Norse 450 Forestry Winch #2  
Was doing some maintenance today on my Norse winch while putting it up for the winter and hooking up the snowblower. There isn't much to it, however I have a couple questions that for some reason aren't covered in my owners manual.

First: What is this turn knob adjustment for? The handle turns and a lever puts more or less pressure on the main plate (spool).

View attachment 492026View attachment 492027

Second... The manual shows two places to oil, one being the chain inside and the second just vaguely points to a somewhere below the spool of cable. But i cant really see anything there that would need oiled or lubed (the bearing is sealed). Any thoughts?

Thanks!

The adjustable friction device is to put drag on the drum to limit free spooling on the take out. Snarls are a ***** in metal rope.

The lube? no ideas....

/ Question re: Norse 450 Forestry Winch
I see, so it just keeps a bit of tension on the spool. Thanks for the reply, I'll dig out the manual and show the picture it has for the lube points.

Ok, so here's the thing they are telling me to lube, wtf? When i have the guard off the winch I really don't see anything in there that looks like the picture... thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_0803.JPG
    IMG_0803.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 475
   / Question re: Norse 450 Forestry Winch #5  
Ok, so here's the thing they are telling me to lube, wtf? When i have the guard off the winch I really don't see anything in there that looks like the picture... thoughts?

That lube point is the clutch engagement lever. The metal part that the is attached to the control line. You know, the one you pull when you want the log to get closer to the tractor.

Follow the control line to where it attaches to metal, then follow the metal lever to where it pivots on the drum shaft.
Give it a squirt of oil!

Thanks again CalG, I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

/ Question re: Norse 450 Forestry Winch #7  
I know it is an old post, but since I just bought a Igland I figured I would chime in. The winch has 2 lube points. The first being that lever where it pivots at the cable drum as you already were told. The second is the drive chain. But don't get oil on the clutch. Kind of funny that the lube was suppose to be done weekly. It's a good thing they use ball bearings in all the other moving parts.